Chapter Twenty-Six: A Solution

"It's beautiful here," Camille mused approaching Sergio, it was a lovely afternoon and she was glad that she had come with him; it had been a relaxing break for them and it had been good to get away from the capital.

The two had been able to relax with Isabel since they had arrived and they hadn't had to watch out for any paparazzi; they could be themselves and not worry about anyone seeing them.

The break had brought them closer and Camille was surprised at how many horses that Sergio had; she hadn't been expecting that when they had arrived at the house.

Sergio looked at her with a small smile, he was glad that they were here together and he had really enjoyed being around Isabel more than he was usually.

It still stung that things had worked out the way that they had with Pilar, he was so angry with her right now for thinking that she could ban him from their sons when he hadn't done anything wrong.

Their lawyers were talking now and Sergio couldn't help but think that Xavier was behind what was happening; the man never looked happy to see him when he visited Junior and Marco.

"I'm glad that you like it," Sergio replied knowing that it was a place that he wished that he could spend more time there instead of in Madrid. He loved playing football that was true but Sergio wished that he could relax more and spend more time with the people that mattered to him.

He was turning thirty-one that year and he was starting to consider what would happen when the time came and he had to retire; he was planning his life out as carefully as he could for then.

Camille leant against the fence and she watched Sergio with one of his horses, he seemed so at home here and things felt different than they had done when they had been together in Madrid.

"There's something that I have been wanting to talk to you about," Sergio murmured peeking at Camille, he had done a lot of thinking and some research after what had happened and he was sure about this.

He knew that their situation wasn't an easy one and he wished that there were things that he could change about what had occurred between them; he adored Isabel but he wanted better for his daughter.

Camille nodded her head, she wasn't quite sure where he was going with this but she was interested in hearing it; Sergio had been nothing short of attentive since they had arrived in Seville.

"I have been doing some thinking," Sergio started brushing his fingers through the white mare's hair, he wasn't sure what Camille would have to say about this but he was hopeful that they were going to agree completely about this.

He was growing tired of the constant reminders of the fact that Isabel was a royal bastard and Sergio wanted to do something to change that; he didn't have this problem when Junior or Marco had been born.

"I think it would be a good idea if we got married," Sergio announced unable to look at Camille for a second, this was never how he imagined that he would do this but he didn't know what else to do.

There was silence at his words and Camille had no idea how to even respond to his words, she had never thought that this would have been on his mind after everything that had happened.

"I know this is probably a surprise..." Sergio murmured moving away from the horse and approaching Camille, he regretted that he had started this conversation in such a way but there was no going back now.

Camille didn't make a sound, she stared at him not sure what to say and she wished that she had been a little more prepared for such a conversation.

"But this will put a stop to those rumours," Sergio continued knowing that he was being stupid, he loved his daughter and he wanted better for her; he could only hope that he wasn't coming off like a complete weirdo.

Camille stared at him, she had never considered that this might by why they had come to Seville and she hadn't considered that he was preparing to ask her to marry him.

There was so much to consider and Camille wondered just what had led Sergio to this move; she knew what rumours he meant but they had to deal with that no matter what happened.

"Do you even know what a royal marriage would be like?" Camille asked knowing that they needed to talk about this, she had to be sensible and she wasn't going to rush a decision like this when there was so much to consider.

She watched him knowing that things would certainly change if they got married; Camille was second in line to the Monegasque throne and she didn't have to worry too much about the chance that she would become the next ruler of her country.

"I have done my research," Sergio replied with a shrug of his shoulders, he had looked up what would have to happen if he married Camille and he was sure that he would be able to handle all of it.

Sure, there were things in his life that would have to change but the fact was that Isabel would be able to inherit things from her mother's side of the family.

She would be entitled to the title of Princess and she would never have to feel like an outcast when it came to her own family; Sergio would do anything for his daughter and this was just the first step.

Camille didn't say a word, she watched him closely wondering just how much research Sergio had done and she doubted anything could prepare him for what would happen if she said yes.

***

"Papa loves you so much," Sergio whispered cuddling Isabel, he held his daughter close and kissed the top of her head as he thought about the talk that he had shared with Camille.

He hadn't been surprised when she had asked for time to consider his proposal and Sergio was just relieved that Camille was considering marrying him; they were close and he knew that in time that they could grow to love one another.

His feelings for Camille weren't likely to change anytime soon and Sergio knew that a marriage now would be ideal for them; they could provide a more stable future for Isabel.

Not only would that place Isabel in the line of succession, she would sit behind her uncle and mother in the line of succession and before her aunt; but it would assure that no one would be able to refer to her as the royal bastard anymore.

It stung every time that he saw headlines talking about Isabel that referred to as the royal bastard; it was something that haunted Sergio every time that he heard it.

Camille watched them from a distance as she thought about what Sergio had asked her, she was confused about what was going to happen and she wanted to make the right decision.

A part of her very much wanted to say yes to what Sergio was suggesting; they would have a marriage of convenience to ensure that their daughter had the very best.

It certainly did help that she had feelings for the footballer that had become a major part of her life since she had told him that they were going to have a baby together.

But that didn't mean that she didn't worry about this entire situation ending with her getting hurt; she didn't want to rush into a marriage that could very well end in divorce.

Camille wanted to do the right thing and she feared that rushing this decision might make her do something that she would regret in time.