Chapter Nine

30 Years Earlier ~

Magnus Kendrick

"You must purchase slaves."

It was the advice his brother had given him countless times before. But in the midsts of Magnus's most recent financial struggle Torvald had pressed the matter all the more.

"It's hypocritical you know," Torvald commented, as they sat at his brother's table enjoying a leisurely dinner. "Why should this animal have any less of your sympathy than another?" He gestured to the rack of lamb in front of him before cutting a large chunk of meat and lifting his fork to his mouth. He chewed slowly, daring Magnus to respond.

Magnus was annoyed by the question. Torvald knew well his mixed feelings on human meat and the practices most sibla farmers engaged in to make the delicacy available to their customers. It had been two years now since their father had died leaving his estate not to Magnus, the eldest of the two, but to Torvald. Magnus had had no desire to contest his father's wishes and his brother knew that the question of human stock was a large part of his decision to release their family estate into the hands of his younger sibling.

The Kendrick plantation was grand, know well for its high-quality animal stock. From cows, to sheep and pigs, to humans, the Kendrick name was synonymous with premium meat. Though Magnus had pride in the reputation his father and grandfather had grown, he had not had the desire to run such a big operation. Instead, he'd taken his inheritance and bought a much smaller estate, with a modest farm and a smaller flock of sheep, chickens and a few pigs. But money had been tight after the costs of his set up, and Torvald had been pressing him more and more to venture into the human trade.

"I have it on good authority that the price of wool and lamb will continue to fall for some time yet," Torvald remarked. "The human trade however, is only expanding. You could even create your own line to breed. Start establishing your own name in the business. 

"A few breeding females, already tested, and one male. Within three to four years you will have harvestable offspring. And you could always supplement with cast offs from the wild markets. You know the ins and outs of human rearing. Many do not and waste their money buying animals bred outside of captivity fearing they will never reach a reasonable slaughter weight, but you know humans well enough to judge good stock. At the very least consider investing in a few house salves. It would cut your operating costs considerably."

Magnus nodded, accepting his brother's advice as he bit into his own meal. "Do you ever question the trade, Torvald?" he asked, though he knew his brother's answer already. "That boy there," he said, gesturing to the ten year-old human gelding Torvald kept as a pet and favored house slave. "You care for him don't you? Yet you eat his companions."

Torvald laughed. "Of course I care for Chester," he replied but that does not mean that one day I might not harvest him myself or sell him to another. He is an animal Magnus, and is well aware of that fact. Aren't you Chester?"

The boy's expression remained neutral as he nodded his head.

"You see? Torvald continued. "As long as your animals know their place, all are happy. Chester is a loyal creature and thus has been granted the privilege to serve me for as long as he is pleasing."

Magnus did not answer. It was exceedingly disturbing to him that Torvald might make an emotional connection with an animal he might one day eat. Even living on the Kendrick as a child Magnus had always felt discomfort with the fact that many of the humans that helped in his home and cared for him so loyally would eventually serve as his meal.

"Leave us, Chester," Torvald said, seeing Magnus's expression. "You are displeasing to my brother."

Magnus watched as the poor boy blanched.