Chapter Twelve

So let's take a trip back into the past again. Wondering how Alice and Magnus first met? Wonder no more!

----------------

~30 years earlier~

Chapter 12: Magnus

Cedric Dulane's estate was impressive. Even larger than that of the Kendrick family , Dulane's holdings were more than twice the size of the farm Magnus himself had established. It was hard to imagine such a man might want anything to do with his small business, but Dulane was welcoming from the moment he arrived. After he had parked his vehicle and been escorted to the man's office by an obedient house slaves, Dulane ushered him straight to his private study, offering fine brandy, and insisting they discuss Magnus's holdings and his plans for expansion.

Magnus had little to add to the conversation in the end. It appeared that Torvald had highly exaggerated Magnus's possible desire to change his business model to include the human trade, and his host was eager to encourage a future partnership between them. The man seemed to be certain the deal was all but assured. Instead of making comment, Magnus simply allowed Dulane to outline what he himself had envisioned as their potential working relationship. Overall, it was hard to not be tempted by the offer he proposed.

As Torvald had explained, the man simply wished to invest in a smaller farm to expand his holdings even further. Dulane would ask Magnus to take on the feeding of around twenty head of human in preparation for fall slaughter, offering him a percentage of the animal's worth taken from the live weight he managed to obtain while the creatures were in his care. He would, in addition, grant Magnus the loan of a few breeding females for the length of the season with confirmation of pregnancy. 

 In exchange for taking on their care, Magnus would be permitted to keep any children that came from the animals while they resided on his farm. If Magnus did indeed hope to expand into the salve trade there was no question agreeing to Dulane's terms would create some promising prospects.

"But enough talk," Dulane said after they had each had a few drinks and he had clearly outlined his proposal. "Let me show you around my estate. I know I would never do business with a man before I had had the chance to fully vet his operation and learn more about him. I would not expect you to do so either. " He gave Magnus a warm smile as he escorted him out to the grounds.

It was a beautiful day, the sun raising down upon the brisk early spring landscape, and Dulane's large estate shone with promise. Magnus was introduced to the man's wife and four charming children, and shown around the property like an honored guest and not a potential low-level employee of the Dulane estate, which is what he realized he would essentially be.

"I imagine great things for you Magnus Kendrick," the man said when Magnus expressed his gratitude for such kind treatment. "Your brother has made quite a name for himself since he acquired your family's holdings. I know you chose not to take on the Kendrick business at first, but I have spoken to your brother at length, and have done my own research into the industry you have made for yourself since establishing your own farm. It is impressive. 

"Though I know the market for sheep and pigs is indeed struggling, your financial troubles now seem to have little to do with your handling of your animals. I could aid you in learning better business acumen, but I am certain I might benefit greatly from the skill in animal husbandry you might offer."

Magnus was pleased to see the animals on the Duane estate all appeared to be healthy. Though he did note that the humans they encountered were a bit skittish, he realized it was not uncommon. He had often noticed that the humans on his father's estate became nervous in the presence of new sibla men and it was likely his own presence that was causing their anxiety. It was ultimately unsurprising.