Chapter Fifty-Two

We've been talking about Rachel a lot in the past couple of chapters, but does anyone else miss her pov? She was very happy when last we left her. Glad to have Magnus returned, grateful to have regained her sense of safety and freedom on the estate. Let's see how she is now...

----------

Rachel

The sun shone brightly that morning, its rays piercing through the windows to gently rouse Rachel from her slumber without even needing Kathryn to shake her awake. As Rachel opened her eyes she felt alive with more energy than she'd felt in a long time. Perhaps the effects of Torvald's reign over the estate were finally gone, she thought to herself. Or perhaps it was merely the beauty of the early fall weather that was causing her good mood. As she rose and went to the window to stare outside, Rachel could see the spots of orange and red that had begun to paint the leaves of the trees, regaling them in their autumn finery.

The fire was already roaring in the hearth and Rachel breathed in the lovely mixed sent of cool air and burning wood. It wasn't quite cold enough to need the fire yet, but Kathryn had likely woken early and decided to give them a small treat to make climbing from beneath the covers a bit more pleasant. Rachel was grateful. The soft warmth it added to the room made her smile as she went about washing up and getting dressed along with the other women.

Kathryn had laid out her favorite dress for her and no sooner had she slipped it over her head, then her friend appeared by her side.

"Good morning, Rachel," Kathryn said cheerfully as she buttoned the buttons Rachel couldn't reach. "It's a lovely day outside. You wouldn't have believed the colors in the sky this morning."

Rachel smiled. Kathryn was always an early riser. She knew the older girl often went out into the field to watch the sunrise. She wished she had gone with her to see it.

"Will you wake me up tomorrow to watch the sun with you?" Rachel asked.

"Of course," Kathryn answered. I just wanted to let you sleep a bit longer. I did start a fire though. I thought everyone might appreciate that."

Rachel nodded.

"So, my friend," Kathryn said. "How would you like to wear your hair today? A french braid perhaps?"

Rachel nodded again, happy to see that her good mood was apparently shared by the others as well. Indeed, as Kathryn lovingly brushed and braided her hair Rachel could see that every one of the other women seems a bit more cheerful today. She wondered why. Perhaps like her, they were merely grateful to see their lives so returned to normal. To see the beauty of early fall.

It would still be at least two months before any would even have to think about the possible harvest, but even that seemed less important now. She'd heard the other girls speculating that perhaps none would die this season. After all, Magnus and Alice had not bought any new slaves in the spring. Their numbers remained small, with only fifteen out of thirty beds filled in the main sleeping quarters.

Rachel donned her coat and followed the others out of the hall to a mix of "good mornings" and "have a nice day"s as she and Kathryn set off for the kitchen.

Kathryn was right, Rachel realized. Outside the day was beautiful. A perfect compliment to her good mood. The sky above was the clearest baby blue with only a few ornamental white clouds. The sun shone brightly, its gentle warmth cutting through the cold morning air and warming her face and other bits of exposed skin where they poked out from her coat. The grass was still green and in the trees along the path to the house she could see the apples hanging, begging to be picked. She would have to ask Alice if she might go later to do so. They had been waiting for them to ripen after all and it seemed the time had come.