Chapter Fifty-Three

Rachel

Rachel woke tired the next morning, having stayed up far later than usual listening to Alice's stories. She'd been glad the signs of the old's woman's agitation before dinner completely vanished when she saw her again. In fact, as soon as she'd returned to eat, Alice had returned to her earlier uncharacteristic pleasantness, lavishing Rachel and the others with affection and attention that was rare. The meal she had prepared for dinner contained each and every one of Rachel's favorite treats. Though she was thoroughly full after finishing her plate, Rachel still had made room for the cookies and cider they enjoyed in the slave hall as all relaxed and chatted and played games.

But in spite of their evening revelry, Kathryn had still followed through on her promise to wake Rachel for the sunrise and she was glad for it. As Rachel and Kathryn quickly slipped on their boots and coats and snuck out past their sleeping companions they were just in time to watch the beautiful golden orb rise in the east, the sky splashed with a dazzling array of pinks and purples and oranges against a backdrop of soft white clouds, green grass, and majestic tree covered mountains in the far distance. Rachel snuggled close to her friend as they stood their in silence, combating the early morning chill with their own body heat, breath coming forth in small white puffs.

Once the sun had fully risen and the sky begun to clear away its vibrant painted glow to reveal another clear blue day, Rachel and Kathryn headed back inside to set a fire for the others to combat the cold as they rose, and to dress themselves properly. When Rachel had asked if she should come to the kitchens that morning however, Kathryn informed her of Alice's message. She was to help Magnus first before anything else. It was only then that Rachel remembered what Alice had told her before dinner. Magnus needed help with the sheep. It was for the best that he'd asked for her early, Rachel thought to herself. Better to get the unpleasant task over and done with. She set off for the hidden shed with no fear or trepidation.

Magnus was already there when she arrived. The tools for slaughter laid in their proper places. All but the knives. He always kept them hidden.

The animal must never see the knife.

Rachel walked into the shed and he closed the door behind her. But something was wrong. As her eyes scanned the room she saw no sign of a lamb. There was no soft bleating, no contented munching on hay, only silence. She hadn't seen any animals in the small paddock either.

"Where is the lamb?" she asked, turning to her master who stood by the door still.

He didn't answer.

"Alice said I was to come," she said. "That you asked for my help. That we must slaughter a lamb for tomorrow's meal." A slight prickle of fear began to travel along her skin as he continued to stare at her.

"Yes."

The realization hit Rachel like a hard punch to the stomach, her body turned to ice."I am the lamb," she said shakily. "Today is the day." She wanted him to deny it, but she knew he would not.

"Yes," he answered calmly.

Rachel felt her breath growing short in panic as he confirmed her worst fear. Her eyes flitted to the door then back to the sibla man blocking her exit.

"I..." she tried, looking for words that might save her. "No. No, please!" Her voice sounded so small as it echoed into the silence. So whiny and pitiful. A plea she knew instinctively he would not heed.

Magnus's expression was neutral as he stared at her, but his eyes radiated compassion. "But you have seen this done before, Rachel," he reminded her. "The end will be quick and painless, as I have always promised."

After HumanityOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara