Chapter Thirty-Three

Another trip to the past. How did Magnus manage to get Alice back I wonder? And what does that have to do with Torvald....I think it's time we meet up with him again 30 years ago ;-)

*If you recall, when last we left Magnus and Alice in the past, they had been picked up by the sibla authorities Alice was taken away in chains pretty certain that she was doomed, but Magnus is determined to provide rescue. The two were being driven back to the nearest sibla town.

----------------------

30 Years Earlier ~

Magnus

Magnus was not entirely surprised to see his brother at the police station when they arrived. He had used his name after all, and there was little doubt Torvald would have heard of the rebellion on Dulane's estate.

"Magnus, thank goodness!" Torvald exclaimed as he walked into the reception area. "When I heard the news about Dulane I feared the worst."

"Torvald," Magnus answered as his brother's arms caught him in a tight embrace. Of course like always, there was little warmth in it. "I am grateful to see you as well, brother," Magnus said. "Truly being back in civilization is quite a relief."

"You must tell me what happened," Torvald said, releasing his hold. "The story we were told was horrific."

"Indeed my tale is quite harrowing," Magnus agreed, "and I promise to tell you all. But there is something I urgently need from you." He was safe, but Alice was not. It was essential that Torvald asserted his authority as soon as possible in gaining the human's release. His brother, however, was not particularly concerned with Magnus's plea to be heard.

"Of course, of course," Torvald answered. "Whatever you might need to recover you know I will provide. But first, let me take you home. You must be exhausted."

"Yes," Magnus said. "Surely I will appreciate some food and a good night's sleep but before that, there is an issue that needs urgent resolution and..."

"Later, later," Torvald insisted ushering him from the building. "My car is around back. Let's get you home safely and then we can discuss whatever you want."

Magnus knew there was no use resisting. His brother had always been a stubborn man. Alice had three days before they might question her. At least he hoped she had that much time and that his orders would be followed. Under torture, there was no telling what the other captured slaves might have revealed.

Contrary to what he'd assured the officer, he felt quite certain that Alice had all but orchestrated the entire rebellion. But perhaps there was hope that her fellow slaves were loyal to her. That they would not easily give her name up. If he could rescue her before any cracked, he felt certain he could keep her safe. But he had to get her back into his protection first.

On the ride to his brother's estate, Magnus tried to imagine how best he might broach the subject of Alice's release. Torvald was likely to believe, as the officer had, that any of the late Cedrick Dulane's slaves must be put to death. Should he tell his brother of Dulane's treachery? But there was no proof. He would sound like a mad man, and Alice would appear no less guilty. No, a partial truth would be best. An admittance that she had saved his life. Perhaps that would be enough to motivate his brother to action.

At the estate, Torvald quickly ushered Magnus into the care of his house slaves. As his brother's humans helped Magnus to a bath and found him proper clothes, he could not help but think of the slaves on Dulane's estate. They had rebelled and burned the place to the ground. While he knew Torvald was not half as cruel to his animals, he still wondered how little it might take to bring down the Kendrick estate as well.