Chapter Fifty-One

So...Magnus's visitor made an offer in the last chapter that would spell the end for Rachel. Did Magnus take it? What effect on the other characters will it have if he does! Last week of posting people. You ready? I'm going to be leaving minimal/no authors notes at the ends of these chapters to just let them flow. I would LOVE to hear your thoughts though and, of course, votes are always greatly appreciated :-)

---------

Magnus

Magnus was dismayed to see the girl by Alice's side as he approached. It had taken him three days to work up the courage to seek her with his news and he'd hoped to find her alone. But the young one spent a good deal of time with Alice. It should not have been so surprising that he was unlikely to catch them apart during the day.

He took a deep breath to strengthen his resolve. The contract was already drawn up. Fin had purchased an assortment of meat including lamb, pork, and chicken breasts, but the roast human veal would be the main centerpiece of the festive meal. He had already seen and selected the animal. There was no going back now.

    As he grew closer Magnus was surprised to see a small hint of a frown grace Alice's lips before she forced a muted smile to her face in greeting. Did she somehow know already? He'd always been amazed at her ability to read other people, as if she could see into their minds.

    "Master," she said as she stopped before him. "I did not expect to see you until dinner."

    Magnus nodded stiffly. "I have business I must discuss with you," he said. "I don't think it can wait any longer."

    The forced smile did not leave her lips as she nodded. "Of course," she answered. "Rachel you may run along and play. I believe our Master wished to speak with me alone. "

    "Shall I come and help you finish with the chores in the kitchen later?" the girl asked. Alice shook her head. "Kathryn and I can mange. You have done very well today and deserve a rest."

    The girl grinned widely.

    "Thank you, Alice!" she exclaimed.

Magnus found himself pursing his lips against the immense wave of guilt that washed over him. The young human was so happy. So entirely ignorant. He found his resolve wavering again in spite of the signed contract he knew sat in his desk drawer, locked away so that even Alice might not discover it. It had cemented the truth days ago. He was not going to change his mind. But could he really break the news to Alice? He wasn't certain his lips would allow the words to come forth.

    "She has grown nicely," he commented, trying to think how he might broach the subject. "Strong and healthy." And well filled out, though he didn't say so aloud. Gone were the jutting ribs and sunken cheeks. In their stead was a soften body, rounded and well fed. And the fear. That had greatly dissipated as well. Alice had done well. It was not surprising Fin had taken note of the young creature.

    "It's time isn't it?" Alice asked, though it didn't seem to be a question. "You will not keep her through another winter."

    Magnus could not quite tell if it was relief or guilt he felt coursing through him at her words. He had not needed to break the news as he's feared. Alice had already guessed it. But how long had she sat with her knowledge? he wondered. How long had he left her in suffering due to his own cowardice? He shook his head in reply to her question.

    "No," Magnus said. "I will not."

    He watched as Alice nodded, staring after the girl running up the hill in the distance, so carefree.

    "How did you know?" he asked.

    "You always have that same expression," Alice answered. "I know when you plan to slaughter. The guilt shows in your face each and every time you prepare to give me such news. But the girl is nearing maturity. I have expected this for some time now."