Chapter Ten

A/N: Back to the present...Magnus and Rachel return to Magnus's estate

Magnus

It was late by the time they arrived home and Magnus was exhausted. The young human had remained entirely despondent for the length of their journey, barely touched the food he had offered her, refusing to utter a word or even meet his gaze, in spite of his continued attempts at kindness. Magnus greatly lamented the mistake of leaving her with the slaver for any longer than necessary. 

The bruises she'd clearly sustained since purchase were disturbing, and she looked so pale and weak. He certainly hoped she wasn't ill. Of course, Alice would be far more equipped to judge her physical state, though he was not sure how she might react to his newest purchase. The woman had never before raised complaint with his business in the human trade, but he knew instinctively that such a young animal would not be to her liking.

As Magnus drove down the path to the main house he was not surprised to see Alice already there awaiting his return. The small human woman wore a smile on her face as she always did at his return. Her graying hair was tied back in a bun, kitchen apron hung around her neck, Alice was always a welcome sight after days away from home. She must have been working when she'd heard the sound of the car. He was impressed at her hearing. It never seemed to have dulled with age.

"Welcome home, Master," she said as he climbed from the vehicle.

"Thank you, Alice," Magnus answered with his own jovial smile. "It is good to be back. Those inns in the main town must find new mattresses. My back has pained me the whole ride home. I will be grateful for the comfort of my own bed."

"Well come inside then," Alice returned. "I have dinner nearly prepared, and I will have one of the girls draw a bath for you to relax your tired muscles."

"That would be greatly appreciated," he answered with a nod. Magnus turned back to the car to see the child had not emerged. Not surprising, he supposed. She was most likely awaiting his command. He was certain that in the short time she'd been with the slavers the girl must have learned well enough how most sibla treated humans that did anything beyond what they were ordered to do. Or perhaps she was merely too frightened, convinced that some new horror must now await her.

Magnus walked back to the vehicle to see the human child still sitting in her seat. Her legs curled up to her chest, arms wrapping herself in a tight ball. Even without touching her he could sense the tension in her body. He opened the door to the passenger side and bent his head in.

"Rachel," he said gently. "We are here now. Come out of the car and see your new home."

"Yes, Master," she answered quietly, the tremble in her voice undisguised. Magnus wished desperately there was something he might do to lessen the poor creature's fear. He hated seeing any animal suffer so. But it was likely she would do better once she was away from his presence. The company of other humans would no doubt relieve her terror in a way he was unlikely to accomplish, no matter how gentle he might be. As Magnus reached out and touched her arm, coaxing her to leave the vehicle he could feel her shaking.

"Come, child," he said, guiding her towards the house. "There is someone I would like you to meet. Alice!" he called out. "Come and greet the newest member of your flock." But as soon as the older human woman caught sight of the child the warm smile of welcome she had worn moments before began to morph into a scowl.

"What is that?" Alice asked, doing nothing to hide her contempt.

"You knew my purpose in town," Magnus answered calmly, though he was disheartened by her response. "I was there to purchase human stock."