Chapter Thirty-Six

Ok, so...Cynthia caused a bit of a kerfuffle in the last chapter. This new chapter is actually from Magnus's pov. It does indeed relate to the last chapter but I wonder if it seems too floaty ( like not grounded in the plot?). I would love your opinion on that. The next two chapters are a bit slower than previous ones, but I can promise that a big huge twist is coming next week...excited? We shall see, I might even decide to release it earlier...It seems like enough people are following to support more updates. Let me know your thoughts! :-)

--------

Magnus

"Then it really is only the three you will take?" Alice asked.

Magnus nodded. The fall always brought about the harvest of the year's hard work, both from his crops and from his livestock. The date of slaughter had already been set for the sheep, pigs and fowl, but from his human stock, he had decided a limited cull was preferable. It was his practice to handle the humans before the rest, least they spend any more time in worry than was necessary.

Though he'd been forced to delay in any final decisions when one of the chosen animals took ill a few weeks before, she now seemed to have recovered enough to return to work with a clean bill of health and he didn't wish to delay any longer. All that remained was informing Alice and ensuring that the few girls he had selected were prepared.

"Karen, Cynthia, and Pearl," he said. "I will take care of the humans first, of course. My aides will be here for the next two weeks to help with the processing of all the livestock.

Alice eyed him skeptically from the chair where she sat opposite him in his study. She looked down at her notes.

"Can you afford to make such a decision?" she asked.

Magnus nodded again. It was fascinating to him that she would question. He knew well that Alice always hoped to extend the life of each of her flock as long as possible. She would certainly never push for him to slaughter more than was necessary. But, as always she was clearly looking out for the good of all of them. She understood the business he ran quite well, and had a sound understanding of numbers.

"If you need additional funds to provide for them through the winter I can provide that," he assured her. "The harvest has been strong and will yeild a true bounty of produce to store, but I have budgeted for any excess costs in supplemental food or clothing they might require in anycase.

"The human market is soft at the moment. The three I named are somewhat on the older side and I have customers willing to purchase whole animals, but as for the rest? I have reason to believe that prices on human meat will be stronger in spring. Before we attempt to buy more stock at the auctions I will take a more substantial number. The extra poundage they will acquire over the winter will be worth more then."

"Well I am certain your flock will be quite relived," Alice said as she made notation in her ledger. "With the change in season there is always a bit more unease among all of the girls you keep and many have been speculating who might be leaving our ranks. The child in particular has been quite anxious."

Magnus stared at her in surprise. He'd never even considered taking the girl.

"She is young still," Magnus answered, "and remains rather thin. I believe more time is necessary."

Alice smiled. "A kind decision I must say," she answered.

Magnus frowned. He felt a certain level of discomfort discussing the child now that he knew Alice's history more clearly. Had she begun to suspect that he would maintain the young human longer? Raise her to adulthood? He still had no intention of doing so. The idea that harvesting Rachel might hurt his dearest friend upset him greatly but he had to ensure that Alice was not under any misconceptions.