Chapter Thirty-Four

Back to the present. Magnus and Alice have been fighting. Will they be able to make amends? or are things only going to get worse? She was pretty upset before he left for Torvald's :-/

--------------

Magnus

Alice did not come to greet him when he returned home. It was strange and lonely driving up to the main house without catching sight of the small human figure. In spite of their fight, some part of Magnus's mind held hope that perhaps she would be standing in wait when he arrived. That she would have finally forgiven him for the child and for whatever else had been bothering her. That she would run to him with open arms, and he could embrace her, and tell her how grateful he was to her for her service. To apologize for questioning her. More than anything, he knew he wanted to disprove every one of Torvald's assertions. That the woman was growing too old to continue in her tasks, that her degree freedom was a threat, that her resentment could be dangerous.

But Alice did not show. In fact, the main house and land around it seemed almost empty when he arrived. It wasn't entirely surprising. The day was late, and the weather was beautiful. There was little doubt Alice had given most of her flock the chance to enjoy the sun as she sometimes did in summer.

He tried to imagine how his brother might respond to such laziness from his human stock and found himself longing for Alice all the more. He needed to tell her of his despair seeing Torvald's caged animals, how glad he was for the guidance she had provided him in ensuring his animals were truly happy. He wanted to tell her how sorry he was that they had fought for even a moment.

Instead, Magnus parked his truck, planning to head straight for his study. He was stopped before he reached the stairs.

"Welcome home, Master."

Magnus turned in anticipation for a moment, expecting to see Alice standing there but instead found that it was Kathryn who had called out to him. Of course he masked his disappointment, affecting the solemn authoritarian attitude he did with all of his other slaves. He nodded his head once, not responding to Alice's favorite girl with words.

"I know you must be weary," Kathryn said, her eyes cast down in true obedience. "Alice sent me to see if you might need anything."

So she was still so angry with him that she would not even deign to welcome him home herself and sent a surrogate in her stead? he thought with frustration. Was his presence so abhorrent?

"Have some light refreshment brought to my study," he replied to the human girl. "I will be there all evening to catch up on the work I have missed in my absence and do not wish to be bothered. Dinner may be sent there as well."

"As you wish, Master," the human answered, quickly setting off to fulfill his request.

——

It was difficult to keep his mind in his work. Kathryn had come to the study soon after he'd settled, bringing tea sandwiches and fruit as a light snack. She had provided tea as well, but Magnus chose to open his bottle of brandy instead, hoping that the alcohol would take the edge off of his worries and his squabble with Alice.

He thought of his brother's words regarding the human he had kept so long. Was Torvald correct? Could it be that she was already changing in her older age? He'd vowed to keep her by his side as long as she had life left within her, but what if her sour attitude was a sign that she was growing weary of life in general? He'd never had such concerns before but somehow, he could not help but have them now, Torvald's comments worming their way inside his head.

If only she would speak with him candidly, he thought. If only he could force himself to set aside his pride and approach her without fearing the consequences.