Chapter Forty-One

Alright, One more trip in to the past before we get back to the story. Magnus is in rough shape in the present, but 30 years ago...it was Alice who needed care....

---------------

30 Years Earlier ~

Magnus

The new slave quarters Magnus had commissioned were not yet finished, and he had no intentions of putting the frail human woman in such drafty accommodations. Instead, Magnus decided to set Alice up in the largest of his guest rooms.

Helping her from her filthy, ragged clothes with care, he ran Alice a warm bath, and lowered her body into the soothing water. Magnus cleaned her wounds as best he could, trying to ignore the continued guilt he felt seeing her battered body.

The animal was skeletal. Her clothing had masked that fact, but seeing Alice naked it was all too clear how much she had wasted away during her incarceration. How many pounds had she lost? he wondered. He could feel her wince in pain with every touch to her sores, but not once did she complain or cry out. Were any of the injuries she had sustained life threatening? Magnus feared to voice his fears.

It was not just her emaciation or recent injuries that disturbed him. Magnus could not believe the extensive scars she carried on her back, the amount of old bruises still not healed. It seemed Dulane was even more of a monster than he'd suspected. Each wound he found furthered the immense feeling of protectiveness he felt for the poor abused creature who'd saved his life.

Wrapping Alice in a towel Magnus dried her body, cradling her in his arms as he might a small child, and helped her to bed. He did everything he could to ensure her comfort. Dressing her in one of his own fine silk shirts, so big on her small frame, he propped pillows behind her back and covered her in as many down quilts as it took to stop her shivering, hoping that his efforts would have some effect.

Alice said little as he worked, her body weak, perhaps too weak to protest to his care. He feared that she was slipping but nonetheless, the courageous creature forced a smile to her lips when she saw his concerned expression rain down on her.

"Thank you," she whispered, her voice hoarse. "Thank you, Magnus. You... too kind... I can't repay."

Magnus shook his head, taking her thin hand in his own, rubbing his thumb along the back of it gently.

"Hush," he said. "Sleep now."

It was not long before the human's eyes closed, but Magnus could not sleep himself. Pulling a chair beside the bed he spent the whole night in vigil over her, waiting at the ready should Alice need his care.

———

Two days later, he saw no improvement in her condition. The wound on her left leg had only become more inflamed and was hot to the touch. He had little doubt it was infected and it was clear she had contracted a fever as well. Her weakness was frightening to him.

Aside from the intermittent murmurs of pain, the human spoke little, her consciousness fading in and out in a fevered haze. Her bed sheets were drenched in sweat and though he tried to keep cooling compresses on her head, the heat of her body seemed to be unresponsive to his efforts. But Alice rejected the idea of his calling for a doctor.

"I will be fine," she assured him, staring at Magnus through glassy eyes. "I only need more rest."

Magnus knew she feared allowing another sibla to examine her and had right to do so. Many would likely advise he put his new slave down rather than waste any more effort to keep her in life. They might even demand it to prevent the spread of disease amongst other local human stock. Still, he could not ignore her worsening health. When she refused yet another offer of food and barely managed to sit up long enough for him to force a glass of water past her dry, cracked lips, Magnus knew he had to do something or else let death take her.