Bonus Chapters: Alice's Choice part 4

They had finished cleaning by the time I returned to the kitchen. I still went to the counter and checked the surfaces and made certain Kathryn had indeed labeled the contents of the freezer correctly. It was all more perfunctory than anything else. I trusted Kathryn to do her job and, as always, she had satisfied all of my expectations.

As angry as she might be with me, at least she would still obey. I was grateful for her sense to work through her emotions. Kathryn had always been exceedingly savvy and observant. No doubt she realized what was at stake.

The child remained seated at the table. I could see how tired she was, her eyes nearly closed in spite of the trauma she'd just witnessed. I wondered if Kathryn had completed the entirety of their work alone. It wouldn't have surprised me. She was always self-sacrificing, caring. A rush of guilt coursed through me anew as I thought of what I had forced her to endure...

"I think it's time we all head home," I said, walking to the covered head, picking it up gently and cradling it in my arms. I thought of Olivia, of the sweet girl I had bid farewell to just this morning. She had not deserved this end. None of them did. I could only hope her death had been quick.

"Kathryn," I said. "I assume you know whom among our ranks was closest to her. I wish we could give Olivia a larger send-off, but we cannot have too many wandering the estate at night. If Torvald should discover us he will not react favorably. Slaves gathering in the dark in secret will reek of rebellion to his mind and I assure you he will not hear reason before we all find ourselves missing our own heads."

It was all too true I knew. Torvald was already extending us all the generosity he would in allowing me continuing in my position. Moreover, I knew that watching Magnus's estate was already a strain on his own business. The last thing he needed was an excuse to slaughter a large number of his brother's human stock. Even I would not be immune if he thought he had uncovered true threat. He'd never trusted me in the first place.

"How many?" Kathryn asked.

"Three," I replied. "No more.

The girl nodded her head solemnly.

"We will meet by the large oak tree behind the slave hall at 1 am and bury her there. I don't want to wander too far, and that way she can be close to us. The others may visit tomorrow as long as they are certain not to draw attention to the spot." I turned to the child.

"As for you Rachel, I want you back in my cabin immediately. I don't want you out alone nor wandering anywhere near the main house. Torvald and his guest are still talking now and should be for at least another half hour. Kathryn will walk you home so I can take the last of their dishes." The girl agreed easily. I knew she was anxious enough to return to safety.

——————————

The three girls who met me under the tree along with Kathryn in the dead of night were quite. They knew what had happened by now. All of their eyes focused on the white bundle when I removed it from the bag I'd used to carry Olivia to her final resting place.

We didn't talk as we took turns digging until we had made a hole deep enough to fully ensure no animals might uncover our little secret. When it was done, each girl came forward wordlessly and laid a hand upon the head, sending their private thoughts to the spirit of the woman taken from our midsts so suddenly. I uttered my own silent prayer to her spirit, begging her to forgive me for sending her unwittingly to death with no warning. I vowed, as I did to all of them, that I would never forget her loving soul and would hold her memory in my heart along with those of all the girls I had cared for and lost over the years.

After each had had their private moment I lowered the head into the makeshift grave and covered it over.

By the time it was all over I was barely able to remain on my feet. Though the others had helped, I had done a good deal of the digging and shoveling, and I was no longer young. Between the physical exertion of the day and the emotional burden, I found it difficult to put one foot in front of the other.