Chapter Forty-Five

Whelp...we are in Torvald's world now...Wonder what that will be like :-/

Rachel

    Life under Torvald. The difference was subtle but pervasive nonetheless. Unease seeped into every moment of every day, constantly reminding Rachel of her new situation. It was clear the others felt it too.

    In spite of the ever improving weather, none seemed willing to spend any more time out in the open than necessary. They all stuck to their assigned tasks, hesitating to be caught, for even a moment, enjoying themselves or dallying in the warmth of the sun.

    The freedom Rachel had grown so accustomed to was gone now. Alice was insistent that she stay by her, or Kathryn at all times and Rachel was far too frightened to even consider protesting. Their hovering reminded her of the overbearing protective energy Mamma used to smother her with. But the fear that now sat heavily on her shoulders was more oppressive than anything Mamma or Papa had ever projected and the danger was far more real.

     Torvald had made it clear he saw her as quite a prize and there was no telling whether or not he would attempt to circumvent Alice's protection. The older woman had warned her to avoid her temporary Master as much as possible and that was exactly what Rachel intended to do.

    But though she appreciated the extra protection granted by Alice's cautionary actions, it was difficult not to grow bored. Since Alice could not always escape her more strenuous duties under Torvald's demanding leadership, she was less of a presence in their midst. Not trusting that Rachel would be safe without her, the old woman ordered that she move back out of the slave hall and remain confined to Alice's home when not in the kitchen under Kathryn or her watchful eye.

    In Alice's cabin, Rachel felt more isolated than she ever had before. She missed the companionship she'd grown to enjoy during her nights relaxing in the slave hall surrounded by her new family. There was no merriment anymore there now in any case. Everyone was too exhausted and scared after the day's work to consider indulging themselves at night as they once had. Most simply went straight to bed. But at least they had each other for company and support. Away from all human contact so much of the time, even Rachel's beloved book of Grim's Tales became tiresome and with no other amusements to distract, she was often forced to sit alone in silence with nothing but fear to keep her mind occupied.

    That morning, Rachel rose before dawn with Alice, as she had grown accustomed to now that she was not allowed to walk to the main house without the older woman's supervision. Half asleep, she washed and dressed and followed Alice to the kitchens in the dark, doing her best to keep up though her eyes were heavy and her body exhausted.

It had been weeks since Rachel had been able to sleep properly through her fears. Her mind was simply too anxious for true rest, even after Alice had agreed to share her bed as she had when Rachel first had a nightmare on her second evening at Magnus's estate. At least Alice's warm presence comforted her enough to block out the dreams she feared would plague her once again.

She missed having her own cot in the main slave dorm, having the camaraderie of the others surrounding her in slumber, having Kathryn's friendly energy by her side. Alice, while strong, was far from warm or nurturing. Given the stress they were all under, Rachel could hardly blame her now. More than once the old woman had returned from the main house with bruises and scrapes after her time alone with Torvald.

As soon as Rachel managed to work her way down the steps to the kitchen she went straight to the large table in the center of the room and flopped into a chair there, uncertain she could remain upright.

"Wake up," Alice scolded as Rachel's eyes threatened to close. "Kathryn has already collected the eggs this morning, now you will help her cook them. Torvald wishes for his breakfast promptly at 6:30 am."