Chapter Fifteen

Alright, I reserve the right to change the order of chapters at any time, but here is another blast from Magnus's past...hehe. I am still working out the best places to drop in these little hints of what happened 30 years ago. The big one is coming up soon...I would LOVE feedback about how they fit into the story for you and where they feel like they work/where they feel like they are abruptly pulling you out of the story.

------------

Thirty Years Earlier

Magnus

Torvald was thrilled to hear of his successful visit to Dulane's estate. In spite of Magnus's slight qualms of working with the man, he could not help but feel a bit of excitement himself at the prospects this new business venture might bring. With Torvald's aide he quickly hired contractors to begin building a long house for his new slaves to dwell. Within two weeks the structure was already beginning to take shape.

Its presence more fully cemented his decision in reality. He would take on human slaves. He would become involved in the very industry he had spent so much of his young adult life criticizing. Magnus took solace in reminding himself that, in taking up Dulane on his offer, he could finally prove to his brother that his theories on animal rearing were correct.

There was no reason to keep humans confined or oppressed to produce marketable results from one's stock, he was certain of it. In demonstrating ethical animal rearing practices there would be credence added to his claims and perhaps he might be better able to have a true influence over the industry.

He had exchanged correspondence with Dulane periodically since their first meeting, but was indeed excited when the man contacted Magnus explain that he had picked out the slaves he intended to entrust to his care. He invited Magnus over to his estate so that they might examine the animals together and exchange insights before the humans were transferred.

  Dulane further suggested that they celebrate with a meal together at which Magnus would be his honored guest. And Magnus was genuinely honored. Dulane's name was as well known as his family's own. It was a kindness that he was so willing to listen to Magnus's theories in addition to merely hiring him to take on an excess of work cause by his surplus of human stock. Magnus had great optimism that their new relationship would be one that would bring them both great fortune.

Magnus spent the days before the meeting preparing. Dulane's estate was a great distance from his own farm and the man had offered to allow Magnus the chance to reside on his estate for a few days to observe the daily operations there are see the life his slaves were accustomed to. It was a promising prospect to Magnus's mind. Though he had been somewhat disturbed by the man's treatment of the slave woman he had seen when last he visited, he hoped that the incident had been an anomaly. Surely the fact that Dulane was willing to have Magnus as observer to his daily affairs was a sign of that.

Magnus realized he had never inquired further into what the slave woman might have done to deserve the level of discipline Dulane had seemed certain was necessary after all. Perhaps Alice had truly committed an unforgivable offense. Perhaps the man's harsh discipline was a choice as alternative to simply disposing of the wayward human. A second chance he had mercifully bestowed upon her.

Besides, Magnus thought to himself, it was really none of his business how the man cared for his animals. As long as he complied with the minimum standards of animal welfare they could work together. Magnus knew that his own brother's practices were often disturbing to him as well. All the more reason to show Dulane how Magnus's own theories of raise human slaves with compassion would ultimately yield great result.

After having ensured that the contractors he had hired would continue his work in his absence, his other farm workers would maintain his animals, and his brother would come periodically to check on his estate, Magnus set off for Dulane's plantation with high hopes.