Chapter Thirty

The last chapter was a bit traumatic. Let's see how Rachel deals going forward...

------------------

Rachel

    Magnus had given Rachel leave to go back to Alice's for some lunch and to change clothes before going back to work. By the time Rachel arrived in the kitchen Alice was already busily working on dinner. Rachel was surprised to find the old woman was alone, Kathryn nowhere to be seen.

    "Ah Rachel, good," Alice said when she saw her come in. "You can help me finished chopping vegetables. I thought a hearty stew would be something we might all enjoy this evening. We had an abundance of fresh ingredients to utilize at the moment and I fully intend to take advantage."

Rachel nodded as she donned her apron and went to the counter.

    "You can mash some potatoes as well for our Master's dinner."

    "Where is Kathryn?" Rachel asked.

    "I asked Kathryn to attend to some other chores," Alice answered. "We are making a simple meal after all. The two of us should be able to accomplish it on our own I should think."

    Rachel nodded as Alice handed her a knife. Soon they were both slicing carrots and potatoes side by side. The chop chop rhythm filling the silence between them.

    "Our Master told me you did well today, Rachel," Alice said after a moment. "He was very pleased."

    Rachel felt a small blush come to her cheeks, uncertain how she felt to hear this assessment. "I did what I was told," she answered.

    Alice nodded her head once. "In any case, he has also told me you wish to spend more time with the other animals and I have already agreed. It will do you good to spend more time outside. The weather will only be warm for so long after all. You should take full advantage."

    Rachel did not fail to notice how Alice referred to her as if she too were an animal when she spoke, and the comment forced a question into her head she'd been trying not to think about. But she had to know.

    "Alice?" Rachel asked.

    "Yes?"

    "Have you ever..." She stopped, not knowing how to ask her question. "Magnus eats human meat."

    "He does," Alice answered without pause.

    "Have you ever had to prepare it for him?"

    Alice stopped her chopping for a moment and looked up at her as if surprised by the question. "Of course," she answered.

    "But." Rachel stopped again. "How could you do it?"

    "Meat is meat," the old woman said, returning to her work. "What difference does it make?"

    "I..." Rachel didn't know how to respond.

    Alice picked up a slab of meat from the plate beside her and slapped it down on the chopping block. "Does this look like the animal you helped Magnus slaughter today?"

    Rachel looked at the red flesh, a sick feeling creeping into her stomach.

    "What if I were to tell you this was not a lamb at all, but a stake cut from Judith's thigh that I am preparing for his meal?"

    Rachel's eyes opened wide in horror.

    Alice gave a small snort and threw the contents of the plate into a heated pan on the stove. Hearing the sizzling sound Rachel cringed as the smell of cooking meat quickly filled the room.