Chapter Eleven

Rachel

Rachel felt entirely out of place in the grand house as she waited for her master and the human woman outside of Magnus's study. She'd never imagined such a place could exist. The homes she was used to were small, almost entirely unadorned. But Magnus's house seemed like some castle out of the old fairytale books her mother had kept, passed down through generations from "the earth that was," back when humans still reigned.

 The pristine white walls were accepted with beautiful paintings, and the hall was covered in an intricate carpet, the likes of which she had never seen, patterned ornate swirls of colors and shapes all twisting and swirling. But it was hard to pay much attention to the grand home, nerves still keeping her entire body tense.

The house was quiet but somehow the silence only accented the pounding in her head. She felt dizzy from long ride in the sibla man's vehicle. Rachel had never really driven in a car before, aside from the trailer the raiders had taken her away in. Her village only had two trucks after all, and they were only used in emergencies. She hadn't liked the ride. The motion had made her sick to her stomach. She wished desperately for her warm bed, the comfort of her mother's arms around her. It still felt impossible that her whole life was gone.

Rachel had no idea what to make of the human woman Magnus spoke to now. Alice, that's what he'd called her. And she had called him "Master." But if Alice was one of his slaves, she certainly didn't act like it. The older human woman had practically ordered the sibla man to speak with her. And she'd been angry. Angry at him for bringing Rachel back to his estate. That much was clear. But what had she done wrong? Rachel wondered. She didn't want to be here in the first place. She just wanted to go home! Tears leaked down her cheeks at the thought as she lay down on the soft cushion of the bench. She was so tired, so alone. Rachel wrapped her arms around herself and closed her eyes, hoping to shut out everything.

She'd nearly fallen asleep by the time the door of the study opened. Rachel's heavy eyes fluttered open enough to see  the surly human woman emerge, Magnus just behind.

"Rachel," the sibla man's voice. His hand on her shoulder. 

He smiled at her as she stared at him sleepily. 

"Come," he said, helping her up. "Let's get you to a real bed. Alice will take care of you this evening and you will stay in her lodgings for now. There is little space at present in the main dormitories where the others reside, and I worry you might need more care at the moment. Alice is a great healer. Any ills you have she will right soon no doubt. Isn't that right Alice?"

The old woman nodded once, but her expression looked no less hostile than before. It was clear Alice didn't like her at all, though why Rachel couldn't imagine. Still, the idea of sleeping in a real bed sounded wonderful, even if she did have to reside with the old woman.

"Can you walk, Rachel?" Magnus asked. "Alice's home is not far but if you are too tired---"

"I certainly have no intention of carrying her," Alice mumbled.

Magnus shot her a small glare, but Rachel noticed the woman looked no more chastened at his clear anger.

"I will transport her if she requires aid," he said shortly. "All you must do is see that she is cared for, as is your job I might add. Is that too much to ask?"

"No, Master," the woman answered, her displeasure with the situation clearly unchanged.

"I can walk," Rachel managed to squeak out, climbing to her feet to prove her point. Perhaps her willingness to make such effort would win her more of the older woman's approval. It was obvious she was important from the way she spoke to their master.