Bonus Chapters: Alice's Choice part 3

"You're late."

Torvald's harsh rebuke greeted me the moment I walked into the parlor and set down the plate of chopped liver and crackers. Of course the clock in the corner showed me to be exactly on time, but I certainly would not argue.

    "Forgive me, Master," I answered.

    "Pour us some refreshment, Alice," he said, ignoring my contrition entirely as the two continued their conversation.

    "This is quite delicious," I heard his guest remark. I caught a glimpse of him tasting the liver. "I must say I do not typically favor chopped liver much but this, I like." I heard Torvald laugh in response.

    "The human might be old and far too ornery, but Alice is an excellent cook."

    They spoke as if I were not there at all.

    I poured both men a glass of wine and stood waiting for their command.

    "You brought no one else to aid you, Alice?" Torvald asked casually, after they had nearly finished their hors d'oeuvres. "Not even to bring our dinner so it might remain warm?"

    "I have kept your meal fresh in warming trays I assure you, Master," I answered. "I needed no aid."

    "She is trying to keep her companions from me, Edgar," Torvald said to his guest with a small smirk. "She warned them all away as soon as she found out I was having company. Did I not tell you she was a stubborn old creature?"

    But though my Master's brother was of an easy joking spirit, Torvald's guest frowned as he stared at me like I was something entirely distasteful.

    "I can't see why your brother keeps her at all," he said. "An elderly, rebellious, slave? I cannot imagine how she might not have learned better by now. You should teach the animal a lesson."

    I kept my head down and stayed off to the side, holding my breath. I truly had no idea how Torvald might respond to his guest's provocation. But to my relief, he only laughed.

    "That one is Magnus's beloved pet. While I may not agree with the lack of discipline he has employed in training her, it is not my place to intervene. She is obedient enough when I am here and the animal knows well that I am her Master until my brother returns. She knows too that there will be consequences if she steps out of line. Don't you, Alice?"

    "Yes, Master," I answered dutifully. My heart rate slowed slightly at his response. Given his guest's clear position on humans, I was glad that the others were safely away. It seemed that Torvald was willing to concede to me on this one minor act of disobedience. He had not asked that any one in particular serve him after all. I had broken no command.

    "Shall we move into the dining room, Mr. Franks?" Torvald said, rising from his seat.

    Mr. Franks, as the older sibla man was apparently called, cast one more glare in my direction as he stood and followed Torvald. I took in a deep breath and went to join them.

    The meal was luckily to both Torvald and his guest's liking, Mr. Franks proclaiming that he had never tasted better loin chops in his life.

    "The meat my brother rises here is indeed exceptional," Torvald agreed. "The animal was slaughtered fresh today in your honor. Of course I confess I was only waiting for a good excuse to harvest at least one from Magnus's flock," he conceded. "Entertaining such a worthy guest seemed an appropriate cause." Both men chuckled and I felt my cheeks flush with frustration as I thought of Torvald's cruelty in forcing me to play a part in the ending of Olivia's life.