Chapter Seventeen

Magnus

Crickets chirped in the night air just outside. It was perhaps too cold still to leave the window of his study open at night, but after the past few days of travel, his fight with Alice, and an exorbitant amount of paperwork that had accumulated in his absence, the fresh breeze was invigorating. He breathed in deeply, enjoying the scent of grass and flowers, the smells of spring finally breaking through after the long winter's frost.

Content that he had finally caught up with his work enough for a bit of relaxation, Magnus arranged his papers into a neat pile and went to his liquor cabinet. He'd just finished pouring himself a glass of fine whiskey and settled into his favorite chair when he was surprised by the knock at his study door. His brow furrowed for a moment in confusion. The rest of the household staff had been in bed for hours. A perpetual night owl, Magnus had always relished the chance to work uninterrupted after the rest of the household would not bother him. He wondered who would disturb him so late.

"Come in," he said. Seeing the figure in the doorway Magnus felt his body tense, his momentary annoyance at being interrupted replaced with a tinge of concern.

"Alice."  He rose immediately. He had not summoned her nor had she given any indication that she had yet to forgive him after their earlier spat. Her presence was not only unexpected but concerning.

"What's wrong?" he asked. "Are you all right? The girl?"

"I'm fine," she answered. "And the child is fine. She is fast asleep by now I'm certain. She was exhausted and with any luck, she won't wake till morning. I even convinced her to eat something rather substantial tonight before bed."

He nodded, relaxing slightly. "I'm glad to hear it. It sounds like you have already made progress with her. And I am glad to hear you are well. I am sorry we have yet to truly speak since I returned."

Alice didn't answer. She stood still, expression unreadable.

"Please sit," he said gesturing to the chair across from his own. "I was just having a drink. Will you join me?"

She shook her head. "No, thank you."

He still could not imagine why she might be here. She seldom came to the house so late. He knew how much she relished her time alone in the evening. They were much the same that way. And her demeanor was worrisome. Something was bothering her. That much was clear.

"We must speak," she said, as she walked to the chair he'd offered and sat.

He nodded, sitting and pulling his seat closer to her's. "Of course," he answered. "By all means"

"It's about Judith."

"Judith?" Magnus asked, hardening his tone slightly. In his momentary relief, he'd hope she might have come to talk as a friend. That perhaps they could resolve the fight they had had over the girl. But it seemed she had come to further the rift between them by pressing an issue he had already expected was laid to rest. He fought to push down his frustration.

"I can't imagine what there is to talk about," he said. "I told you of my intentions and you swore to keep the others under control. What more is there to discuss?"

She frowned at him. "Do you think I am frightened of you, Magnus?" she asked. "That you can threaten me with that tone? I came to speak with you and expect to be heard."

"Then speak," he said, waving his hand in a permissive gesture. " I will listen. But I make no guarantee that I will like what you say."

"Judith is well liked," she said, ignoring the later half of his comment.

"You told me this already," Magnus said, taking a long sip of his drink and attempting to neutralize his tone.

"But I didn't tell you how close she was with one particular girl."

"Does it matter?" He understood the difficulty she might have in handling such a situation, but every one of his slaves knew their ultimate fate.

"It does in fact, yes," she answered curtly. "Sarah has requested to be taken as well."

Magnus stared at her uncomprehending. "I don't understand," he said. Sarah was one of the younger among his slaves. "I had only intended to harvest one and Sarah is quite young still. There is no need for any but Judith to leave us until the fall harvest."

"But she and Judith are very close," Alice countered. "I am not certain I myself realized the level of their connection. Sarah begged me to speak with you on her behalf. If Judith dies, she has no interest in life."

Magnus frowned with annoyance. "I told you to keep me decision a secret," he said.

"And I did so."

"Then why pray tell, does one of my slaves presume to dictate my actions? Why does she ask for special privilege as if she already knows of information you claim not to have shared?"

"Privilege?" Alice exclaimed, doing nothing to hide her incredulity. "The woman has asked to die. I hardly think that might be considered a favor. And as for her foreknowledge, It was Judith herself who guessed at your plans. They are not ignorant, Magnus. She is the oldest among them and has been here for some time. She arrived at the same conclusion you yourself reached so easily. The two had determined to die together even before you returned with the child. Judith knew her end was inevitable.

"But Sarah's is not."

"No," Alice agreed, "but I'm certain there are many who ask you for meat from your human stock. You seldom bring any to market out of season."

"Of course but..."

"What's one more girl, Magnus?" Alice prompted. "Sarah is well filled out and young. You will make a tidy sum on her flesh. The child will require more resources than you think and it would be for the best if we reduce our numbers a bit more. I would never have suggested taking another now if it was not necessary, but she has volunteered."

"I do not like to be told what to do," he answered irritably. "And I will not be ordered around by my animals!" Magnus watched as her face fell and felt instantly remorseful for his words. He hadn't meant to include her in his sentiment on slaves, but he could see how she had interpreted his outburst.

"I am not ordering you to do anything," Alice answered softly, "nor is Sarah. She is requesting to leave this world alongside her friend. Is that so unreasonable?"

Magnus sighed and shook his head. "No," he agreed. "I suppose not. I will find buyers and prepare to slaughter both humans together."

"Thank you, Master," she answered, standing as she did so, her head bowed slightly. "I will, of course, continue to keep your confidence until you tell me otherwise."

Magnus felt the guilt overtake him at her words. Master. From her lips it always sounded wrong somehow. In the presence of others, he expected it. Alice knew well the balance of power that had to be maintained on his land, but in private such formality and deference hurt him deeply. And yet he knew he'd inspired it.

"Alice," he said. "I did not mean to imply..." He stopped. His relationship with Alice was complicated. He hated that he'd lost his temper with her so easily now more than once in the last few days. Perhaps the girl had been a poor purchase after all. It seemed Rachel would continue to cause division between them.

"I'm tired," she said before he could finish his thought. "I'm certain you are too. Forgive me for bothering you so late."

"Not at all.You know you can always come to me. I..," but she had already left before he managed to get the words out. Magnus sighed deeply and drained his cup. "I'm sorry Alice," he mumbled. "I'm sorry."

-----

So Magnus and Alice's relationship continues to be a bit rocky at the moment. Does it make you wonder more about their relationship in general? I am fascinated to see people's different reactions to Alice and Magnus so any thoughts you might have? I'd love to hear them! As always, thanks for reading! And if you enjoyed, don't forget to click the star :-)