Chapter Thirty-Nine

So, Magnus is ill and just had a pretty big fall. It's really not good for any of the humans on the estate...but before we continue in the present, let's go back to the past ;-) When last we left Magnus 30 years earlier, he had just convinced his brother to help him get Alice back...

_______________

30 Years Earlier ~

Magnus

Following Alice's incarceration, Magnus spent the better part of two days at the station answering questions and filling out affidavits and swearing to the truth of his story, followed by another three weeks waiting for follow-up investigation.

It seemed the officers were exceedingly reluctant to part with one of Dulane's escapees. But Torvald's reputation added clout to Magnus's tale. Eventually, the inspector in charge of the investigation agreed that, if Alice had been purchased before the attack, she was indeed Magnus's property and could be released to him. Filled with both relief and worry Magnus found himself anxiously awaiting the prescribed moment he would receive authorization to retrieve Alice from her incarceration.

"She will be processed out of the system any minute now," an officer told them when they arrived the morning of Alice's release, ushering them to a waiting room from where they might view the human as she left the prison. "The final paperwork has all been completed." Magnus looked through the one-way glass panel separating them from the holding facility, watching anxiously for Alice to emerge.

The woman they brought forth a moment later was almost unrecognizable. Her clothes were filthy now, her skin sallow, cheeks sunken, with deep bags beneath her eyes. She seemed so weak she could barely stand under the weight of the chains still secured around her neck and ankles. Had they removed them at all? Magnus wondered.

"That is the animal you have gone to so much trouble for?" Torvald asked with disdain. "Hardly seems worth the effort."

"What have they done to her?" Magnus asked, trying to fight back pain he felt in seeing Alice so reduced in such a short period of time. It had been not yet been four weeks since they were parted.

"I was assured she was barely questioned," Torvald answered. "Largely she was just kept in her cell. You should be grateful she was not interrogated further. It seems one of the escapees named an 'Alice,' as a key instigator of the attack on the Dulane estate. Your testimony, however, was judged to outweigh that of vengeful slaves."

Magnus nodded, a sick feeling creeping into his stomach as he realized how close he'd been to losing her. Even now he prayed that she was not seriously injured.

"Straighten up," Torvald said, nudging Magnus in the ribs as he continued to stare dumbfounded at Alice's frail form. "The head inspector is coming."

Magnus forced himself to turn away, facing the man who joined them.

"Mr. Kendrick," the inspector said, addressing Magnus. "We greatly appreciate your aid in this investigation as well as your patience in waiting for the return of your property." The man handed Magnus an envelope. "Here are her papers. The slave known as Alice of Dulane is now officially of the Kendrick estate."

Magnus felt the weight of the documents in his hand. He thought of the fleeting hope he'd had of somehow freeing Alice from slavery. Now he owned her completely.

"I will load the animal into your trailer if you wish."

It had been at Torvald's insistence. He refused to allow Magnus's new purchase to ride in his car.

"You must put them in their place immediately," he'd explained. She is an animal and must be treated as such. Promise me you will rule your new flock with a strong hand, particularly this woman. I still worry for you, brother."