14 | adagio

1 4

a d a g i o

a music term used for slow, sustained movements

Death is an inevitable part of life. We're all meant to die at some point. Some of us die earlier, some of us get to live a long and happy life. I know exactly what losing someone special feels like. When I was 15 years old, I lost my father and that was the worst day of my life. All this time I've managed to repress the feelings somehow, but deep down I know I'm hurting even though I'm ignoring it.

That's why I knew that if something was going to happen to Faith, Rosen would feel exactly the same way that I felt two years ago: completely shattered and broken. And the best thing to do during a time like this is to just be by that person's side and make sure they're alright and won't do anything stupid now that they've lost a loved one.

I waited by Faith's side the entire time Rosen was away. Looking at her peaceful face I can't even imagine what Rosen's feeling right now. It seemed like the time didn't move at all. I kept pacing around the room, chewing on the cuticles around my nails – a nervous habit I have. Faith was asleep the entire time, her chest slowly moving up and down as she breathed.

Stepping closer to Faith, I pull a chair next to her bed and sit down. Slowly, I grab her hand in hopes that will make her feel better even though it probably doesn't. Considering she has cancer, I can't even imagine the pain she's internally going through. She might smile and say that everything is alright with her but deep down I know that everything isn't alright. She is literally dying a slow and painful death and no one can help her. It's just a matter of time before she leaves this world in hopes of going to a better place.

My head snaps around when I hear the door creaking. Rosen walks through the door, his face as pale as a sheet of paper. He walks up to me and grabs his mother's hand. He places a small kiss on her hand and looks at me.

"It's bad news," Rosen murmurs. "The doctor said she has about two or three months to live before she dies. There's nothing they can do anymore. It's only a matter of time before she dies."

I stand up and look at Rosen. He looks like he's in a lot of pain, sadness written on his face. His eyes are glassy, tears threatening to spill out any second but I can see he's trying to stay strong. Strong for his mother.

"I'm so sorry, Rosen," I mumble, pulling him into my embrace. "I can't even imagine what you're going through." I rub small circles on his back, trying to calm him down. I feel my heart shatter when he whimpers and his grip on me tightens.

"I can't lose her," Rosen cries. "I'm not ready to lose her yet."

"I know," I tell him. "But it's time to let go. There's nothing you can do to save her. It's her time to leave this world."

"No!" Rosen yells, pulling away from me. "I can't let her die. She's all I've got. After she dies, I have nothing left in this world. Everyone is dead, she's the last part of family I've got left."

I place a comforting hand on his shoulder, "It'll be alright. I'll be by your side the entire time, I promise."

"Just like you promised that everything will be alright? You broke your promise, everything isn't alright and I know that you can't do anything about it."

"Rosen," I whisper, grabbing a hold of his hand. "You will be alright. You'll get through this and I'll help you, no matter how long it takes."

"Thank you, I don't know what I'd do without you." Rosen places a small kiss on my forehead as his mother stirs in her sleep. The two of us step closer to Faith as her eyes slowly open, staring at the two of us.