Chapter 8

Harry

During sound check Louis and I have some issues with our in-ears so we stick around after it's over and Niall and Liam go back to one of our dressing rooms. While the techs fix the problem I'm anxiously checking my phone. I haven't heard from Liv since this morning. She should be here by now. I want to see her before she talks to Liam. He's actually in a good mood today but I'm sure once she tells him that'll be over. I would like to have a few pleasant moments with her today before everything goes up in flames.

I'm nervous about today. I know it's too soon to tell Liam. It's not going to end well. But between Liv's need to start completely fresh and Niall's basically forcing us to go public, I have no choice in the matter. Yesterday after he caught Liv and I in bed together we had a serious argument on the way to rehearsals. He was going on and on about how I'm being reckless and stupid, not even thinking about the consequences of us being together. He said he was sick of being caught in the middle of everything and it was stressing him out, even putting a strain on his relationship with Lexie. I can't say that I don't feel bad for that because I do. But when I'm with Liv it's like nothing else matters. It is selfish but I can't change how I feel. Neither of us can and we shouldn't have to fight what feels right. I explained all of this to him, reminding him how he even said he saw how serious I am about her. He compared how I talk about Liv to the way he talks about Lexie. He wouldn't like it if he couldn't be with her. I think that helped him see things from my perspective but he still wasn't happy until I promised that Liam would know as soon as possible. Which means today. The day of a huge performance and right before the last leg of the tour and album promo and release. I don't see this ending well.

I guess if I were smart I would tell Liv that we should hold off. If we really love each other and want to be together that won't change in the next three months, right? But I can't do that. I've worked too hard to get her. I can't just let her slip through my fingers because the timing isn't right. I still can't believe after everything that's happened, we're finally together. I had hoped for it but I think in my mind, I never thought it would actually happen. I'm still scared that Liam's reaction is going to ruin everything we've had so little time to enjoy. I don't want this to be over yet. I don't think I could handle losing her again.

The sound guys finally finish tinkering with things so Louis and I head backstage to join the others. When we open the door to the dressing room it's dead silent but the tension is heavy in the air. Lexie is sitting on the couch with Niall perched on the arm beside her. Liam is standing in front of the door, clearly trying to get his fuming under control but when I look past him Liv is there. My instinct tells me to go to her immediately. I can tell she's upset. But considering Liam hasn't thrown any punches at me yet I'm guessing she hasn't told him about us yet. The mood in the room is already grim. I know I shouldn't do anything to make it worse.

As Liam tells Liv to never speak to him again, to steer clear of him, my resolve falters. He tells her that as far as he's concerned, they never existed. How could he say something like that? It's like he's doing everything he can to hurt her and it's working. She's practically crumbling under his words. When he finally leaves, Louis goes after him, assuming the role of Liam's confidant like he has so dutifully. Thank god he's doing it because I have more important things to worry about.

As soon as I try to get Liv to talk she bursts into tears. I don't know what else to do except pull her into my arms. I don't care if Niall and Lexie are right here watching us. All I care about is comforting her as the tears stream down her face.

"Lexie? What happened?" I ask as I hold her as tightly as I can. It does nothing to slow the sobs she's choking out.

"She tried to tell him about you but he was pissed from the start. He didn't even want to hear it." She explains as Liv clings to me.