Chapter 24

Niall

I had a good time at the gala and I didn't really want to leave, especially not with Dustin, but after the run in with Grant I knew we couldn't stay so after Dustin convinced us to go we made our way down to a pub down the street from the hotel.  There's a big group of us. In addition to the five of us, some of Lexie's other coworkers came. There are a few interns, almost the entire team and some wives and girlfriends of the players too. We stick out a bit from the rest of the crowd in our suits and formal wear but this group is so loud, we would never blend in anyways.

Now that we're away from the formal gala, everybody is starting to get rowdy. The players are downing shots, buying round after round for the rest of us no matter how much we refuse until eventually, we stop refusing. Liv starts getting tipsy pretty early on. I haven't seen her like this in a while but I think she's probably still freaked out from seeing Grant. The encounter was awkward enough for me so I can't even imagine what it was like for her. I understand why she would want to escape reality for a bit. Of course, because of that Harry is pretty focused on her. He usually doesn't drink much when we go out anyways so it doesn't surprise me at all.  I am a little stunned to see Lexie letting loose.  It's not that she's usually a downer, but she's been so focused on this event going perfectly, she's been tense for weeks. I guess now that it's technically over she can finally relax.  She hasn't had as much to drink as Liv but she's having fun, dancing in her seat along with her and singing along to the songs they've queued up on the jukebox. I haven't seen her this carefree in a long time so I'm not about to spoil it. I find myself loosening up too. The only thing that's bugging me now is Dustin.

He really isn't that terrible of a person if I'm being honest. He's a guy that's friendly to everyone and he would do anything to get a laugh. He likes football and golf so we've got a lot in common there. If I'd met him at a party or something I probably would've liked him.  Maybe we would've been friends. But he's not my friend. He's Lexie's and there's something about that friendship that makes me nervous. I don't trust him and his intentions. He's just too nice, too friendly, too eager. It's little things that stick out to me. Like showing up tonight without a date. He's not an unattractive guy. He could've found someone to bring but he didn't. I'm sure there's an explanation but the only one that makes sense to me is that he didn't want to look unavailable to Lexie. He wants her to know that if she needs him, for anything. He's there. That dedication to her is what made me so hesitant to trust him in the first place.

I was never his biggest fan but when I was on tour in North America and Lexie was here in London, it got worse. I was missing her when I was on the road. I wanted her there with me but I knew she had to work. At least the rational part of me did. It was hard to remember that when we were barely speaking. Our schedules weren't matching up and we were going days without talking. When we did, she would tell me all about what she was doing at work, the people she was meeting, and how much of a help Dustin was being. In my mind, he was the reason we weren't connecting. He was the one taking up her time, not work. I missed her so much and it felt like she didn't miss me at all. I couldn't help but wonder if it was because she had him.

Once I got back to London and we reconnected, things got better for a while. She was spending time with me when she wasn't working and barely even mentioned Dustin's name. But something changed after Ireland. We had that fight at the pub about me taking so long to propose. I thought it was resolved but since she's been back she's been wrapped up with work like never before. And she and Dustin seem closer than ever. I see the way he fawns over her. He's always got an arm around her shoulder or playfully nudging her in conversation. He plays it off as friendly contact but I don't buy it. It seems like everytime he's around, he gets more and more touchy feely with her. Obviously, I know I'm jealous. Or maybe territorial is a better word. But more than that, I'm starting to get concerned. Maybe I am just paranoid but something about him just doesn't sit right with me. I can't help but be on my guard when he's around but Harry warned me that if I don't play nice I'm going to ruin my relationship all on my own. I know he's right. Lexie doesn't see the red flags I see with Dustin. It'll start a fight about trust if I tell her about my concerns. I know I need to keep my mouth shut so that's exactly what I'm going to try to do tonight.