Chapter 22

Olivia

As we sit at the pub after the Arsenal game it's hard to believe that I was ever nervous about how today would go. I guess I've become accustomed to expecting the worst possible outcome for every situation. Once I saw Niall's shitty mood this morning I was convinced his jealous rage would explode at one point or another but it hasn't. He was pouting at the game. He wasn't exactly cheerful when Lexie and Dustin first met up with us but as the night goes and several drinks are consumed he starts to loosen up. We all do. After all the stress and tension over the last few weeks, it's nice to have a fun, relaxing night out.

Lexie introduces us to a few of the players from the team and they hang out with us for a bit. They're all hilarious as they joke around, trying to hit on both Lexie and I relentlessly. It's pretty obvious that we're with Harry and Niall so it's all in good fun but still, I'm surprised Niall isn't jealous of them. Dustin is completely harmless compared to these guys. It's obvious that he does have a crush on Lexie but that's all it is. A crush.  Although I have to admit, I didn't expect him to be so hot. I figured he wasn't completely ugly since his presence has had Niall so worked up but the minute I saw him on the field with Lexie my jaw dropped. I couldn't see much besides the fact that he was tall and built but up close he's even more attractive. With his short dark hair, even darker eyes and chiseled jaw he's exactly Lexie's normal type. But that all changed when she met Niall. With his smaller build, blonde hair and blue eyes he's the exact opposite of what she usually goes for. I wonder if he knows that. Is that why he's so insecure? I can't be sure but I do know he's got nothing to worry about. Dustin is a cool guy and I can see why Lexie likes hanging out with him. He's entertaining us all with his funny jokes and animated stories but Niall is the one she's leaning against. He's the one who's got her full attention.

I'm having so much fun that I don't even realize how late it is until Harry asks if I'm ready to go.  When I look around I realize the pub is almost completely cleared out. There are a few players left but most everyone else has left already. The pub will be closing soon so we all decide we'd better call it a night. Lexie has her car here so Niall's security guy Basil drives them home in it. Harry didn't drink much so he's fine to take his car and even offers to drive Dustin home. He tries to refuse but when we discover how close Dustin's place is to mine he won't take no for an answer. I'm not sure why at first. I don't know why he's being so nice to Dustin. It's not that I expect him to be cold but it seems almost like they're becoming friends. When we get to his apartment they even exchange numbers and make plans to hang out again soon before Dustin gets out of the car. I can't help but wonder how Niall would feel about this new bromance.

"What the hell was that?" I ask as Harry pulls back onto the road.

"What was what?" He asks but the half smirk turning up the corner of his lips tells me he knows exactly what I'm talking about.

"You and Dustin are buddies now?" I clarify as he struggles to hold back his laughter.  

"I wouldn't say buddies necessarily."

"You wouldn't? Because I would. How would your buddy Niall feel about that?"

"I think he'd feel just fine." He says with a shrug.

"How do you figure that?"

"What's that saying? Keep your friends close and your enemies closer?" He says, a sly smirk spreading across his face as he turns to me.

"Wait, you're spying for him?" I ask, completely in disbelief as I realize what he's doing.

"Spying is a strong word."

"But you're keeping an eye on Dustin? For Niall? Do you really think that's necessary?"

"I don't know. Maybe?"