Chapter 15

Niall

Despite the web of lies, secrets, and drama I've found myself right in the middle of over the past few months, I can honestly say I've never been happier. Lexie is the reason for that. With everything going on around us, she is still the one thing that keeps me grounded. Reminding me everything will be ok. I honestly don't know what I would do without her. It's been so nice to be a little more settled while we're touring in the UK. I never minded traveling much but now that Lexie and I are living together I don't like to be on the road for too long. I miss her when I'm gone. She comes along when she can but most of the time she has to stay for work. I can't fault her, although I wish she would come, but I admire the work ethic she has, and it's one of the reasons I love her.  When we were in London we were able to stay at home every night and even now that we're traveling it's close enough that the trips are only a day or so at a time. But the one trip I don't mind is the one we're taking to Ireland this next week and a half or so. Luckily even though she's in the middle of Arsenal's season, they're away for the next two matches so she managed to get some time off to come home with me.  Even though we're living together, we're still both working. Our time spent together these days is limited. So the fact that I get her to myself for the next week is a miracle. Between her job, my job and then Liv and Harry we don't get much quality time together, and that is really what I'm looking forward to with this trip.

I always forget how much I love being back in Mullingar until I'm there, surrounded by the sights of my childhood. There's just something about being back in the place you grew up that really brings you back to Earth and sets your priorities straight. After the crazy busy and dramatic few months, I need the break. Don't get me wrong, I love living in London. I even enjoy the time I spend in LA now that I have a house there. But nothing compares to the sense of community I feel in Ireland, being with my people. Having Lexie along makes the trip that much sweeter this time around.

But as glad I am that she's here, I can't help but feel the nerves kick in to high gear as we drive from the airport to my dad's house. It's not that I think my family won't like her or that it'll change things between us. It's just that no matter which way you look at it this is a huge deal. We're already technically engaged and here she is meeting my family for the first time. I wanted to bring her home ages ago but it's never been the right time. First, she was living in another country. Then she finally moved over here but I had to go tour the states. I've been so busy with shows and she's been committed to her job, the opportunity never came up until now. I know my family is dying to meet her just as much as she's dying to meet them. They probably think I'm hiding her, but that couldn't be further from the truth. They've occasionally spoken on the phone through me, it's just been inevitable but we still need to do the in person introduction. I know they'll love her when they meet her, because that's exactly what happened to me.

I think more than anything I'm anxious to tell my family that I proposed. I'm not sure what they'll say but I'm hoping they'll be happy for me and proud that I've found the woman I want to spend the rest of my life with. Hell, they should be proud that I somehow managed to get a woman like Lexie to agree to marry me. I haven't decided when and even if I'm going to tell them though during the trip. That will be the tricky part. Lexie can't be around. I'm still trying to pretend I never pulled that half-arsed proposal. I know she thinks it's stupid. I see the way she rolls her eyes every time she asks me when I'm going to do it for real and I tell her to be patient. But I know the look on her face when she sees everything come together will be worth it. Once I figure out what the hell I'm doing. I'd like to think I have it all planned, but truthfully, I don't. I have this idea in my head of how it should be, but the details aren't coming together every time I sit down to think about it.  It's almost worse than writers block.

When we arrive at my dad's place I see Greg's car parked out front as well as my mum's so it looks like Lexie is going to get thrown into the whole family right off the bat. I thought we were all having dinner together later, but knowing my family they couldn't resist seeing me the second I walk through the door. But when I look over at Lexie, she doesn't look nervous at all. As we walk to the front door she takes my hand and squeezes it, giving me reassurance as I lead her inside. I feel like it's completely backwards, I should be the one reassuring her but if there's anything I've learned from loving Lexie is that she isn't just some ordinary girl. Her strength and confidence never ceases to amaze me.