Chapter Five: More Questions Than Answers

After everyone has calmed down we help Hailey clean up the mess.

"I'm sorry about the monitor. We'll try to get you another one," I say.

"It's not your fault. The computer's old and I have another one in the closet I can use." We go get it and get her computer back up and running.

"What will your parents think?"

"I'll make up something. They're at my Aunt's house now and won't be home for a while yet."

When we're done we go outside and sit down on her porch. Hailey and I are in the swing and Megan's in a chair.

"Well, if anything I think we've uncovered more questions than answers," I say.

"Tomorrow's Monday. I'll drive us into town to the library. We can use their computer to check on the previous owners for your house. I'd also like to know where Glenn-rock,TN is. For some reason that name sounds familiar. We may find out something."

"Or just find more questions," Megan adds as we look at one another agreeing. "All of this is giving me a headache. I'll see you tomorrow Hailey." She starts walking toward our house.

"I'll be there in a few," I say.

"Does she have a lot of headaches?"

"No, not really. She had a bad one after the incident in Kentucky.  Actually, we both did that night.  I don't know why."  I can tell Hailey's fear of us is slowly subsiding and her curiosity is coming through.

"Where did you live in Kentucky?"

"It's a small town called Carrie, in the middle of nowhere really."  Hailey laughs. "What?"

"Carrie, you know the movie. Haven't you seen it?"

"Yeah I've seen it," I say shaking my head.

Hailey scoots a little closer. "Can you show me something else you can do?"

"I thought you were afraid of me?"

"Well, maybe at first, but now I have to admit," she looks into my eyes. "I'm curious."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

Looking around, except for the chair there's nothing here to lift, so I get an idea. With my thoughts I lift the swing we're sitting in. Hailey gasps and grabs me as we slowly rise into the air. As I look down her eyes are wide open and she's starting to laugh, still holding on for dear life. I laugh as well and slowly ease us back down.

"You are simply incredible," she says.

She leans in close and we look into each others eyes. Before I even realize it we're sharing a long kiss. Opening my eyes we both ease back, smile at each other, and she starts blushing.

After a moment she glances over at my house and gasps. The little boy spirit's standing at the edge of the road looking at us. She squeezes my arm and I look over and see him too.

We both stand and cautiously walk over to the road. Hailey and I stop beside each other only twenty feet from him. The smell of stagnant water fills the air and it reminds me of what Blackwell means; Dark Running Water.

"Joseph?" I ask.

He doesn't move, and seems to look a little angry.