Chapter Eighteen: The Tenth of June

We stand staring at one another.  Mom is missing, the crystal has been taken and we have only hours before midnight. 

"The book!"  We all run into the living room and stop, staring at the table.  It's gone as well...

"How stupid could I be?  I left Mom unprotected and now the witch has her, the crystal, and the book."  Clinching my fists I look out the front window and the glass shatters.

"Max!  You've got to calm down," Hailey shouts.

"It's my fault.  I should've been smarter than this."  I turn to face the others, "I'm sorry. I've let all of you down."

"Max stop it. You made the same mistake as the rest of us," says Megan.

"I know but..."

Megan steps forward, "Max I know you've tried to fill Dad's shoes for a while now, and I appreciate it. But we were all tricked. We all made the same mistake," she looks around at everyone. "We're all in this together."

I nod, "And because of this mistake, we may all die together."

Later that evening...

We've searched the house and can't find the book. I was hoping Mom may have hid it somewhere when we left. We've also searched the property and Mom's nowhere to be found. Stepping onto the porch I notice there's glass everywhere.  Using my thoughts the pieces fly back together and are fused back into place.

"When did you learn to do that?" Hailey asks.

I look at Megan and force a smile, "Just last night."

It's now ten p.m. and everyone is sitting silently on the edge of the porch. Megan and Logan are holding hands, staring out into the yard and I have my arm around Hailey as she leans against me. I'm very worried about Mom. The Tall man demonstrated how vulnerable we can become. In a way, I think he was trying to warn us about what she might try. Looks like he was right. Now, the witch has the crystal, the book, and most likely our Mother and I know she will use everything she has against us...

I look down at Hailey.  "I've never loved anyone as much as her." I turn to Megan and Logan. "I have to protect them... But what can I do?" After a moment, I make a decision.

Standing up I take a few steps into the yard, turn and face them. "The witch may have Mom, and the crystal to use against us, but she hasn't won yet. We have to be focused and as the book said we have to act as one."

"I'm sorry my friend, but I need you to go," I say to Logan.

He immediately stands up in protest, "No! I want to stay. I may not have abilities, but I can still fight," he looks at Megan. "I won't leave you."

"I know how you feel about her. It's the same as I do about Hailey, but the witch could use you against us just like she will Mom."

Megan turns to Logan with tears in her eyes, "I know you want to protect me, but Max is right. I don't want to lose you and if the witch used you against us it would be one more thing to try to overcome. As hard as It is for me to say, I think it would be best for you to go."

We're all standing now. Logan's trying to come up with a good argument to stay, but I think he knows we're right. I hand him the keys to Mom's car, "Go on home my friend. You'll be safe there. We'll call you when this is over." He reluctantly takes the keys. Hailey and I go inside to give them a moment alone.