Chapter Twenty-Six: Predicaments and Amour

Hailey and I sit down on her front porch swing and she's still a little embarrassed over her Mom catching us at the car.  I put my arm around her and she finally looks up at me and grins, "I still can't believe she caught us."

"Look, it'll be alright.  She'll give us a lecture, probably over supper, and it'll be over."  I give her a quick kiss, and a hug.

Hearing a car I turn and see Mom pulling up in the driveway.  She gets out and waves, "Max, can you help me with the groceries?"

"Yeah, just a sec." I turn to Hailey. "Be right back." We kiss and I head over to help her.

Inside our Den...

Megan's still frozen and can't move.  Her doppelgänger has leaned through the mirror and is staring at her... face to face.  "Don't worry my dear, I'm not going to harm you," she leans closer. "I simply want what you have..."  Megan manages to close her eyes and builds up every ounce of her power. She thinks one word as hard as she can, "MAX!"

I'm walking across the yard toward Mom when I hear her shout.  I look toward the house, "Sis?" I hear nothing... Mom turns around and notices me. "What's wrong?"

"I can't sense Megan..."

Megan opens her eyes as this thing takes her by the hand, "Come with me.  I want to show you something..."  Megan doesn't want to move, but somehow her feet start to inch forward.  She looks on in terror as the doppelgänger is smiling, slowly leading her into the mirror...

As I reach the front door it slams shut.  With my thoughts I blow it off the hinges, run inside and find Megan. Her doppelgänger has her hand, leading her toward the mirror.  Filled with anger the crystal glows deep blue.  Using my thoughts I yank Megan back and she falls onto the floor behind me.  I'm now facing my sister's evil twin as she steps completely out of the mirror. 

"Just what are you and what do you want?" I shout.

An evil grin appears as those black eyes stare back at me, "Soon I will have what I want," she looks past me at Megan.

"Not if I can help it.I throw out my hand and the doppelgänger screams as it's hurled back through the mirror.  It's now inside, getting up off the floor.

"You can't get rid of me that easy Max." She says and begins to laugh.

My anger has now turned to rage as I grit my teeth and throw out both hands.  It screams as the mirror explodes along with everything else on that side of the room.

"Oh... That felt so... good..." I feel the rage and power from the crystal flowing through me.  The intoxication of it's effects growing stronger with each passing second.

Mom had followed me inside and was standing at the doorway watching it all.  She reaches down and helps Megan up just as Hailey joins us. I'm still standing, looking where the mirror used to be. 

"My God Megan.  Are you alright?" Mom asks.

"Yeah, I'm okay." She cautiously takes a step toward me, "Max?" I slowly turn to face them and Mom and Hailey gasp.  The crystal and my eyes still glowing dark blue, and I have an awful grin upon my face.

Slowly, Megan eases forward and puts her hand on my shoulder and quickly pulls it back... My skin is ice cold.  She tries to remain calm knowing the crystals power has me.

"Max.  Listen to me.  Don't let it control you.  Remember who you are," a tear falls down her cheek. "You're my brother and I love you."

I truly don't want to stop but as I look at her I notice the tear and finally hear her words.  I force myself to close my eyes. Fighting the crystal's grip, I slowly ease my power down.  The deep blue of the crystal begins to fade and after a moment I take a deep breath and open my eyes.  I see a look of uneasiness upon their faces.