Chapter Thirty-Three: Double-Trouble

It's been three weeks since Megan was dragged from her bed and except for a few playful visits from the twins nothing has happened. Rachel has been studying the Blackwell book as best she can but so far hasn't came up with much. Most of the book is written in rhyme and hidden meaning. I guess we'll just have to find our own answers...

Most of the school has finally gotten used to us or at least has accepted our presence. We still get a lot of stares but nothing we can't handle. Even Randy and his friends seem to be laying off for some reason and that does make me a little nervous. I know he'll try something sooner or later. I just have to be ready...

Even Cassie seems to be more at ease. I really didn't know how she would react after my little interview with her but so far she has kept quiet about what happened. In a way... that also makes me nervous...

The Huntsville incident still has me puzzled. I've seen the videos and if they're not faked... I wonder who they are? And why attack a government building? I guess answers will come with time...

Today's Friday and we have a three day weekend coming up, but not only that, tomorrow is also a special day. Megan and I turn eighteen...

It's 2 p.m and we're done with our last class waiting on the bell to ring when Bethany comes in with her weekly handout of the school newspaper. She walks up to me and smiles, "Max. I think you'll find the front page to be very interesting. Have a nice weekend," she says as she lays it down on my desk and walks away...

I quickly open the paper and see in big black letters, "The Blackwell Legend Continues..." I close the paper and quickly stuff it into my backpack. Looking around I seeeveryone in the room is either looking at me or is reading it.

"I can't believe she did it! After I saved her life this is the thanks I get? And why did she wait so long?" My anger grows and the desks in the room begin to vibrate. I notice what's happening and force myself to calm down, but it's too late. Everyone has noticed as well and are staring at me...

The bell rings, I jump up and head out quickly. "Megan, Hailey can you hear me?"

"Yeah, what's up?" Hailey asks.

"We have a problem... My damage control didn't work."

"Cassie?"

"Yeah. Grab one of her papers on the way out. Megan.  Where are you?"

"Max, I'm a little busy right now. Logan is about to get on the bus. He has an away game tonight and I'm trying to wish him luck."

"Well hurry up and kiss him. We have a major problem..."

"What's wrong?"

"I'll give you one guess..."

Megan looks around her and sees several people reading the school paper.

"Cassie?" She asks.

"I'm afraid so...   Come out to the car as soon as you can, and tell Logan about it too.  Everyone knows you two are a couple.  He needs to watch his back as well."

"OK.  I'll see you in a few."

I make it outside and head straight for Hailey's Challenger.   As I get near I see three of Randy's buddies standing in front of it.

"Great... this is all I need."

I look around and there's still several people walking to their cars or leaving the parking lot.  I certainly don't need to do anything now...