Chapter Thirty-Five: Rachel's Secret and a Warning

The Blackwell Farm...

It's been over three and a half hours since the disappearance. Mom's been hysterical, but is now sitting on the couch in shock, staring out the window.

Bethany and Cassie have been trying to comfort her and are sitting quietly trying to comprehend everything that's happened over the last 24 hours, especially... what they've just witnessed.

Rachel has the Blackwell book open on the coffee table and Logan and Jessica have joined her as they frantically search, trying to find some answers.

"I can't believe I can't find it," she says as she closes it.

Logan leans back for a second in thought... "Megan told me how they first read the book," Rachel looks at him pleadingly. "One or all three would think about what they wanted to know, and the book would open and flip to the correct pages."

"At this point, I'm ready to try anything." Rachel looks down at it thinking about the rhyme she read. After a moment... nothing. She leans back against the chair and has a tear running down her cheek. "Hailey..." she whispers.

Jessica sees how badly she's hurting... "Try it one more time, think about all three of them and let's see what happens."

Rachel leans up, wipes her tears and looks down at it thinking about her daughter, Max and Megan... Jessica, desperately wanting her best friend back, and being a true Blackwell does the same thing... The book swings open, turns several pages and stops.

Rachel gasps, "Oh My God... It worked. Here's the rhyme."

She begins to read...

"Upon their eighteenth year... to the hour will appear.   All the Chosen Ones... from the days of yesteryear.

To gather around them... it's why they have come.   For on this special day... they will all be as one.

As the spirits share their power... a portal will emerge.   With flowing blue light... their gifts will converge.

Brighter and brighter... the light shall become.   Until no one can see... The mighty Chosen Ones.

A bright blue flash... as the violent thunder roars.   The Chosen Ones are taken... to another world.

Brought before the Elders... everyone is presented.   Standing before them... they're fate soon contended.

A task lies before them... each one must undertake.   If The Chosen Ones prevail... the Elders decide their fate.

Time on the other side... may be forever or a day.   But for those waiting... four hours it will only take.

If all are victors... they arrive as were taken.   A bright blinding light... clap of thunder ground shaken.

From the blue midnight sun... The Chosen Ones are hurled.   For a second time... they've been touched from another world."

"Why does this have to be written in riddles and rhyme?   I mean, part of it I think I understand, but the rest," Logan shouts angrily.

"Calm down Logan. We're all upset right now. Let's just try to figure out what this is saying," Rachel says. Logan gets up and leans against the living room doorway silently staring into the hall where he last saw his friends, and the one he loves...

Jessica scoots over next to her and reads the rhyme out loud.

"Time on the other side... may be forever or a day. But for those waiting... Four hours it will only take..."

It hits her... "Look at the clock. It's been right at four hours!" She shouts.

Rachel slowly smiles, "I think you're right... That has to be what it means!"