Chapter 26

The warm light filtered through my thin eyelids. Slowly and reluctantly, I uncover my face. I blink, close my eyes, and blink again. Rays of brightness cast squares onto the glossy stone floor, reflecting onto several objects in the room which decorated its otherwise simplicity.

I blinked a few times, in an attempt to help my eyes adjust to the rays directed right at me. Streaks of sunlight penetrate the window and blind me. I groaned, rolling over in my slovenly sheets as the sunlight hissed at my face. My disheveled, hair were scattered across my pillow, and every breath I exhaled smelled faintly of ammonia and decomposing corpses. Thankfully, I had nobody to share this putrid moment with.

I sit up, drag my feet off the bed, and rub my knuckles onto my eyes. I stretch my arms above my head and yawn. I watch my legs dangle above the off-white polyester carpet.
Slowly but surely, I pushed myself out of bed, letting my feet hit the cool, floor.

"Assalamualaikum" I hugged mama and dad, as I greeted them.

"Walekumasalam" they replied kissing my forehead.

"Adeel?? I asked looking around.

"Here" Dad said handing him to me.

He started laughing, kicking his legs, making voices as soon as he came in my arms.

"Masha Allah" Mama said lovingly as she served breakfast.

"Don't you think, that he has grown up a little" I said as I pinched his cheeks while he laughed.

"Yes, Masha Allah he is..." Dad said smiling.

"Masha Allah" I said softly.

"You should see this Hani" Dad said laughing.

"What?" I asked taking a bite of my omelette.

"A wife broke her husband's nose, because he didn't let her go to her mother's place" Dad was now full on laughing. He gave the newspaper to me.

"This is so rubbish, useless" I said.

"But it's so funny" Dad said laughing. Even Mama started laughing now.

I was reading happily when my eyes caught attention of a particular news, I crushed that page and tried my best to control my temper!! What I saw last night in the interview, the same was here.

"Hani, did you talk to Zain?" Dad asked out of nowhere.

"No, why? I mean we did talk last night. What happened?" I asked

"Nothing happened. He's just not well" Mama said

"Not well?? What do you mean?" Now I was more than confused!!

"Well, he called you in the morning but you never picked up" Dad said.

"That's because, I had put my cell on silent mode!!" I said.

"Ohh!! so he called me in the morning to ask about us and Adeel. He was worried because you didn't picked up. He was sounding very low, so I asked him what's wrong? Then he said that he's having fever and stomach ache, from last night" Mama said.

"But, when we talk, he was absolutely fine. He didn't say anything" I was now worried.

"May be, because you didn't asked him. Hani, dear, he didn't tell you because he didn't wanted you to be worried. Go, talk to him..." Mama said and dad nodded.

I went up to my room and yes, he did called me. I dialed his number, then waited for him to pick up.

"Hello" he said. Yep, he did sounded low.

"Hey, sorry my cell was on silent mode.' I said.

"It's okay" he said.

"Where are you?" I asked.

"In the car" he said.

"But why???"

"What do you mean by why?? I've work here..." He said

"You got to be kidding me!!! You are sick, and you are not even resting!!" I raised my voice a bit.

"It's nothing like that. I'm just down a little due to the weather, that's it!!" He said.

"Whatever the reason be, the bottom line is, that you're not well. You should've been taking rest instead of going to work. If you'll not work for one day, nobody's gonna throw you out from your own office!!" I said.

"Why are you making this a big issue?"

"Issue?? I'm making a big issue. Fine, I won't say anything to you now, neither I'll stop you from doing something. You do whatever you think is good for you!!"

"Hani, you took it all wrong!! I never meant to say that" he said.

"It's Haniya....why don't you understand it!!" I yelled.

"Okay okay, calm down. Fine, I'm going back to my room."

"Do whatever you feel like"

"Arey, I said Na, I'm going back, then why are you angry now?"

"I'm not angry, it's just, you're far now. There's no one around you who can take care of you!!" I sighed but then only I got a red signal from my brain that what I've said.
Why? O why?? Can't I keep my mouth shut for a minute also???

"Umm, umm, what I meant to say was- was" I went blank.

"Yes, I'm listening" he said and I bet he was controlling his best to not to laugh. Damn, this jerk!!

"Yeah, so I was saying, it's a new place for you, new environment and you must not be familiar with the place and on top of that you're not well, yeah..that's it!!" I tried my best to cover up even though it seems horrible!!

"First of all, It's not a new place for me, I come here every once in a while and I'm very much familiar with the places and with the environment!!" He said

"Ohh...my mistake" I bit my tongue. "Where are you now?"

"I'm in my room now"

"Ohh..!! I think we should hang up now, you need to rest also"

"Hanya, wait"

"Yes?"

"Are you okay? I mean how are you?" He asked softly, my heart beat increased.

"Yeah, I'm fine even Adeel is" I replied in a much softer tone.

"Look Hanya, about last night..."

"I don't want to talk about it. At least not now!!" I replied

"Okay then, take care"

"You too, bye."

"Bye"