Chapter 2: Saint Vrykolakas Academy

I ran back to my room, glancing at it one last time before moving out. I memorized my twin size bed sitting at the corner of the room. I stared at my working desk with a lamp and a photograph frame that sat on the cubby. I walked towards to my desk and picked up the photo frame. I blew on it and the dust rushed away. Caressing the glass, I suddenly felt mournful. Within that frame lied a photograph I’ve treasured ever since the day the incident took place. I placed it down, looking away.

                 Beneath my desk rest a safe box. I opened it and brought out a necklace; my parents left for me before they passed away. It was a large wolf fang pendant with hieroglyphics written around it. I had no idea what they stand for or what they say. All I knew was that my Uncle kept  the pendant till I came of age of wearing it. I nabbed a khaki shoulder bag and placed the pendant safe inside. I took the photo frame as well since that was pretty much the memory I had for my parents. I sighed, shaking my head as I refuse to think back in the past.

             Hmm, let’s see, what else would I need? The academy has taken care of my room and board. . .perhaps I need some clothes? I stepped in my closet and grabbed out a few pairs of outfits and stuffed it in the bag. It felt like that was pretty much all I need. I heard a knock on the door and it startled me.

            KNOCK KNOCK!

            I turned around, only to find that it was my uncle. I stood up, walking towards him.
           “Got everything?” he asked and I nodded.
           “Pretty much. . .” I replied, smiling.
           “Ah Galen,” he began. I perked my head up, turning my attention on him.
           “Yes Uncle?” I asked and he reached for my neck, brushing a strand of hair off of it.
           “I suppose you’ve already came of age to wear that necklace your parents held for you.” he                    began and I widened my eyes.  
             “A-Already?..” I blinked surprisingly and he nodded.

           “That necklace is our great ancestors’ treasure. It is powerful. However, being that I never have worn it before, I do not know what it does. I’ve only heard from your great ancestors that it brings powerful magic to the one who possesses it.” he began. “So please, when you wear it, be careful with it.” he said. So nobody knew about this necklace then. My parents were not here to tell me, Uncle doesn’t know what it does. I placed the bag down.

            “In that case. . .” I began as I grabbed the box out, opening it. The ceramic color blended well with the ancient writings imprinted on the fang. I carefully unhooked it and held it within my palm. “Can you help me put it on?” I asked. A smile reappeared on his face as he took the necklace and unhooked it, wrapping his arms around me. I felt the metal chain tickled my skin.

            “And...it’s on!” he said, taking a step back. “Wow, it seems like the pendant your parents left you really is for you.” he complimented. I chuckled softly and glanced at it.

             “Well. . .” I began. Suddenly, I felt a rush of energy swirling within my veins. I widened my eyes, feeling my Lupis blood being awaken. That power. . .

               “Galen?” my uncle began. I snapped out of the pausation and blinked.

                “Ah, seems like it’s my time to go.” I began. My Uncle came up to me and gave me one last big hug. I snuggled in his shoulders, embracing him back. This would probably the last hug I would yearn for before I part away from him. He pulled back and ruffled my hair. He walked me out the door as I slipped on my white shoes.

              “Be careful Galen. Remember, you know where and how to find me.” he said and I nodded, tossing the bag over my shoulders.

             “Gotcha Uncle! See ya, I’ll miss you so you take care too!” I said, waving at him as I ran to the Abandon Tunnel. Each second I ran, the image of my Uncle and his house shrank. I am really going to miss this place.