The game is on, don't expect to win

Part 6

The game is on, don’t expect to win

Carlie ran after me to the girls room and she is now banging on the door to the booth I‘m hiding inside. I don’t know if she heard my conversation with Vincent, but I really need a friend. I calm down and open the door slowly.

“You look awful,” she says with her arms crossed over her chest. “Lucky for you I have makeup in my bag.

I walk up to the sink and splash my face. My eyes are red and swollen and I sigh. Of course my mate is the one who can make me cry. My heart is hurting, it feels like it has been stabbed with a knife. I apply some mascara and thank her for helping me.

“So, that damn teacher rejected you?” she snorts. “So what? You deserve better than him.”

“So you heard,” I state defeated. “It’s not what I expected my first day at school to be like.”

“Well he is our teacher,” she makes a puke motion. “That is kind of gross if he would date you.”

I fail to understand their reasoning. We take mating seriously in the Ninjan Pack, a rejection would never take place there. So forgive me for not accepting his rejection. I shake off all the sad thoughts my wolf is trying to depress me with. My alpha pride is growing stronger but it didn’t mix fully with my wolf yet.

“I can wait, it is just a year right?” I say with my strong voice.

“That’s my girl!” Carlie shouts and claps her hands. “Don’t worry, everyone is going to love you! Don’t let that prick ruin your last year in high school. You only graduate once after all.”

I laugh at her statement and I feel a little bit cheered up. “I don’t care as long as I get to hang out with you and your boys.  We’re late for class because of me.”

She points at me and pouts with her mouth. “That’s all taken care of. Follow me.”

“What class is it?” I ask while she leads me through the now empty corridors.

“We have Math. The teacher there is amazing, she won’t mind if we talk through the whole class.”

“What was the subject in the first class? I kind of missed it.” I feel ashamed, my mother would not be happy if she knew I didn’t pay attention to one of my classes.

“Oh, that!” she laughs at me. “ He just welcomed us back after the summer and explained what we can expect this year in his werewolf knowledge class. That explains his behaviour towards you a bit.”

“What do you mean?” I ask with a frown.

“He takes the wolf business very seriously. He should become an alpha one day, he would fit as one. He’s looking for a mate that is strong and just as serious as he is.”

“He doesn’t know me. How can he judge me that fast?”

Carlie stops and looks at me with a laugh. “Did you look at yourself in the mirror lately? You are cute and fragile, everything Vincent isn’t looking for.”

“Did he judge me after my looks?” I feel deeply hurt by this. For being serious about werewolf things, he sure made a mistake here. Fragile is the last thing my friends would call me. “He will never become an alpha now because he rejected his mate.” It hurts just to say it and I fight against the tears. Carlie doesn’t understand what I mean. Vincent will become an Alpha by my side, but without the Alpha senses.