I can be sweet in a deadly way

Part 8

I can be sweet in a deadly way

Vincent is already there when I enter the house. My heart starts beating hard and I feel myself filling up with joy at the pure sight of him. All the adults are talking in the elegant hallway and I smile sweetly at them all. I hear the boys playing some kind of game in their room.

“Good evening,” I tell them happily.

“Good evening, Ray!” Jack says cheerfully back. “Why do you have oil smudged all over your face?”

My hand flies up to the cheek Carlie smudged me on and I grin goofily and ignore Vincent’s disapproving look. “Oh that,” I blush. “I was playing with my friends in the garage.”

“Jack,” my mate says harshly and I can’t help but to admire his strong hoarse voice. “Carlie and those kids she’s hanging out with is not a good crowd for Ray to be in.”

Jack chuckles lightly and pats his back. “Vincent, her sweetness is the reason she came to our pack. She is even more sweet than our pack members and who else will be a good influence on the poor girl Carlie?” The lie flows easily over his lips and are impossible to detect. I will be careful to trust whatever he is saying from now on.

“I still don’t agree to it,” he growls.

“Ray can see anyone she wants to,” Jack decides. “And that’s final.”

“No one is going to like her if she hangs out with them. I don’t want her to be with the rebel teens.”

“What rebel teens?” I ask innocently. “They are just going to teach me how to fix cars and race them.”

“Ray!” Gretel moans. “You are going to ruin all your clothes.” She pouts at me but I give them my angelic look back. I hope it is angelic anyway, my dad always fell for it whenever I wanted something. “Racing is very dangerous, I don’t want you to crash!” She looks at me horrified.

“Don’t worry Gretel, I must learn how to drive first and I promise not to race before I know it well.”

I meet Vincent’s burning gaze and I play with my hair to tease him. He is clenching his teeth hard and all I want to do is kiss his soft lips. He is not going to like me doing that so I take a step back and excuse myself from the room so I can go fresh up for the supper that is smells amazing from the kitchen. It seems like Kaitlyn made roasted potatoes and salmon for supper. I don’t want to leave my mate in the hallway and every step I take from him feels painful. I guess our bond is getting stronger every time I see him.

I change into a light green long dress and a white cardigan after washing myself up. I spray some Lily of the Valley perfume on my neck and wrists and brush my hair before putting it into a long elegant braid. I inspect myself in the mirror and sigh when I barely recognize myself. I miss my comfortable uniforms, but at least my hair is somewhat familiar.

This cute look is going to drive Vincent crazy. I wonder how good I can play off being stupid and blue eyed.

I am last to the table and Bradley growls at me.

“Finally!” he roars. “I was starving because you are a slow donkey.”

“Rather a slow donkey than a stinking horse,” I joke but he decides to ignore me and looks at Vincent like he’s some kind of hero. All three boys do that actually and I wonder if he’s a friend of the family.

“We don’t like any of them, do we?” Vincent smiles evilly to Bradley who agrees immediately.

“That is not a way to speak about your mate!” Gretel says upset. “Don’t teach my children to dislike Ray. She’s the daughter I never had.”