How to handle it

Part 29

How to handle it

Kaitlyn’s POV

What’s his problem?

I throw my book aside and rub my eyes. I didn’t get much sleep lately and I can’t even focus on my book that was so tempting a few days ago. I love to read, it’s one of the few things I do when I’m not taking care of this family.

Those black eyes have haunted me since the party a few days ago when our pack was attacked. It doesn’t make any sense. I lived a love less life for twenty-six years, eagerly waiting for my mate. Then I fall for him!

Gabriel Shadow is a mystery. He didn’t recognize my instant interest in him. Why should he? He already had a mate. But my world turned over completely. He’s my moon and sun and stars all at once. How can I get a mate that doesn’t have me as a mate? Why are the Wolf Spirits so cruel in their decision?

How is it even possible?

My heart is hurting. I’m longing to touch him like a woman should touch a man. Then he had the nerve to focus on Gretel when he looked after us during the attack! His ignorance infuriates me. Can’t he be a little bit interested in me at least?

My poor pillow is suffering from my weak punches. I wish I knew how to tell him the truth without ending up as another woman in the row. I don’t know how to flirt. Jack always scared all interested men away from me.

No I can’t confront Gabriel about it! I will look like a lunatic. I can’t handle if he laughs at me.

Look, I’m even rambling in my thoughts!

I need to come up with a plan, anything to keep him in my life long enough to make him fall for me. But what?

My bedroom door slams open and Gretel runs in with tears streaming down her cheeks. She can be a drama queen when she wants to but she looks really broken this time. It’s making me feel slightly worried. I thought the Northwall Pack threat was gone? What else can it be? Not the little boys!

“Katie, something awful, really awful has happened!” Gretel cries out and falls into my arms shaking.

I’ve never seen anyone so torn up before and it’s making me feel uncomfortable. I pat her sulking back awkwardly and a cold hand grabs my heart.

“What happened?”

“I was angry Katie. So angry at The Little Ones that the wolf spirits decided to punish me! It’s my fault, it must be. I was supposed to look after them! I thought the girls were playing in the garden. I told Bradley to look after them so they didn’t leave. I shouldn’t have trusted my little boy to look after them. He’s only nine years old himself! Oh, Katie, what an awful mother I am! If I had stayed with them, they wouldn’t have left and they, they…”

She breaks out in another heart breaking cry attack and I’m still confused over the things she just said. And I thought I was rambling!

I must find out what’s wrong and I won’t get anything out of this woman. I push her to the side and hurry my way through the house to the kitchen where my brother is standing alone with a defeated expression.

“Jack,” I say panting from my short run. “What happened?”

“Ray’s sister was found half dead in the forest. The other one is missing. The offender is from the Northwall Pack, but the Rays left the girls in our care.”

“Oh, dear,” I sob and fall down onto one of the kitchen chairs.

I greeted the wonderful girls earlier when they arrived this morning. They looked like angels with their blonde curly hair and I adored their clothes, practical uniforms for children. Not the skirts or dresses girls are being forced to wear in our pack, but clothes they can have fun and play in. Their mother was watching them like a hawk, making sure the place was safe enough for them to play in.