One hell of a homework

Part 11

One hell of a homework

It’s nice to be able to walk right out of my rooms and jump into the pool. That porch door is definitely making itself worthy. I swim for thirty minutes before I’m satisfied and I decide to take a nap on the sun bed while I’m drying.

It’s like being on vacation, the Denwood’s are not very demanding. I can do whatever I want to, whenever I want to. My mother never let me roam freely for more than a few hours a week. There was always something I had to learn outside school and I spent most of my free time with The Little Ones or Jason. I love them all to pieces, but I can’t deny how good it feels to just care about myself for once.

It’s a hot day and the water is drying quickly on my skin. It’s almost as hot as it is at home. I didn’t get much sleep last night and I can feel my eyelids getting heavier. I let them fall and I drift into a light sleep.

I dream of Vincent. He’s a lot prettier in my dream and a lot easier to love. He is smiling at me and he’s leaning down to kiss me…

Quiet steps wake me up. They belong to three young boys and I must force myself not to smile while they are creeping up to me. I pretend to be sleeping and just as they are close I fly up and grab the bucket of water Bradley is holding and I pour it all over them. The boys are screaming and I understand why when some of the water splashes on me. It’s ice cold. I can’t hold back a giggle at their horrified faces. They are wearing their swimming trunks and water is dripping from their heads.

“That’s what happens when you are trying to sneak up on me,” I smile amused.

“You were supposed to be asleep!” Bradley growls. “How did you even hear us?”

Yeah I wonder how when The Little Ones always were up to something. I learned early to sleep with one eye open so I could escape whatever they were up to.

“The Wolf Spirits whispered in my ear,” I tell them with a shrug.

“They so did not!” Bradley and Freddy yells horrified that it’s true.

“Fine, six small feet told me so.” I start walking towards my room to get ready for dinner. “You three should find some towels, you’re all wet.”

I hear them jump into the pool and feel a pang in my chest. I can’t go swimming with The Little Ones. Alpha Bear waved an Alpha title in front of my eyes and I gave up my family that easily.

I shake away the stupid thoughts. I am old now, a graduate and I am supposed to fly away and find my own life. It’s only for a short while, and then I’ll be back to them again. It’s mom’s fault for letting me look after them too much. I should make the best out of my stay here instead and maybe beg the wolf spirits to throw the Alpha of the Northwall pack into my path.

Yes, that’s what I must do, prepare to beat another Alpha.

-

“Is there something wrong?” Gretel asks worriedly after dinner.

The boys are grumpy and refuses to talk to anyone. They leave the dining room in a quiet protest but it is so easy to see that the younger ones only do whatever Bradley leads them to do. Nothing is better than children who looks up to their older siblings; I wish mine were like that too. Oh, who am I kidding! They would follow me blindly into a burning house, not that I ever would have a reason to do that.

“Boys are boys, dear,” Jack says uninterested in their behaviour.

Yeah sure, and there is one special boy I like and Jack is reeking of him. I wonder why he was seeing Vincent earlier but I can’t ask him in front of Kaitlyn and Gretel. I could but he would not be able to answer honestly with them around.