It's called love

Part 18

It's called love

I like the atmosphere, the cars and the people. I am scanning the area to see if anyone else I’m acquainted with is here. It’s around two hundred people, a lot more than I thought a “kind” pack would have. I haven’t been here long enough to recognise any adults yet and the only students at the field is me and the boys.

The boys are talking to another racer a bit away from us. They are talking about tonight bets and what kind of races there will be. Greg is our groups most skilled racer and his father is on his way to drop off his killer car. Not any car is more beautiful than this black one in my opinion.

I take another look at Gabriel who is inspecting me thoughtfully. He’s become sarcastic and hard since last time I saw him. I was seven years old back then and he was seventeen. He left our pack after he graduated to become a detective just like my father. Father never spoke about him after that and I never asked.

He used to play with me on the fields. He taught me things mother never mentioned even to this day. I missed him a while after he left, but I had Jason and soon I forgot about Gabriel as I grew up.

Seeing him makes a lot of memories come back of how life used to be. He was never happy with the Ninjan Pack, he thought the place limited him. It’s too small and too strict. I wonder how he ended up here in all places and what he does besides racing.

He’s a good racer according to the conversations that are going on all over the field. People are betting big money on him and Gabriel himself looks bored. I know however that he’s listening to them just as carefully as I am.

“Are you here on your own, little Princess?” he suddenly asks me with a hint of interest.

“My father is here too,” I answer him with concealed anger for calling me both little and princess. I know I should get over the fact what my name means. At least I’m not called the Little One like my siblings!

He shakes his head with a grin. “Is he not ready to let go of you yet?”

“I didn’t behave,” I shrug the incident off.

“I think I’d like to hear that story.”

I’m surprised over his sudden interest and nods approvingly. “We can discuss it later when we aren’t so crowded by others.”

“I need to prepare for my race. It is nice seeing you again, Pri.”

I break out in a smile when I hear my old nickname. I doubt we will go back to the friendship we used to have, but I can cherish the moments we get along.

I leave my old friend and join the boys. Adam puts his arm around my shoulders and I like it. He’s always going to look after me. I will never regret coming here. I have the most amazing new friends.

“What did I miss?” I wonder even if I listened to every word they had said.

They introduce me to the driver who’s racing against Gabriel and I feel a little bit sorry for him. A Ninjan never loses, so he better be outstanding to win. There are Ninjans who aren’t competitive, but Gabriel and I was blessed with the need to win.

The boys surrounds me and fills me in on the details while the races are going on. Gabriel won all his races even if a few were near a loss. The Sunshiny Pack are no cowards so they aren’t afraid to compete against him.

I feel a string of excitement when it is Greg’s time to race. His car is a deep red colour and gorgeous. He isn’t afraid of scratching it. The boys have fixed it plenty of times and his father, who insists to be called Rob, looks proud.