If I could do one thing differently

Part 27

If I could do one thing differently

“Princess, are you leaving us for your mate?” Tom worries.

“I don’t know. I guess so?” I give Mother a frown. “I guess you can call my home your home too?” I add in a weak attempt to not upset them too much.

“Really?” Mary says and lights up. “Then I’ll pack my bags!”

“Me too!” Kate yells.

“Me three!” Tom smiles.

“No, not permanently!” I stop them in their imaginary packing. “You all still have to stay with Mother and Father.”

“I don’t want to live with them!” Mary protests. “I want to live with you.”

“Princess is the best one!” Kate announces. “Why can’t we stay with you?”

“Don’t worry Little Ones,” Mother says calmly. “We’ll build them a house next to ours. She won’t be that far away.”

“Do I get to help?” Tom wonders hopefully.

“We are all going to help,” Mother promise them proudly. “It’s not every day we get to build a castle.”

A castle! Mother must be joking about that. A hut would be just fine for me.

“Yes! A princess must live in a castle,” Tom agrees, totally absorbed in the new game.

I guess this is my mother’s way of punishing me for not telling her about my mate sooner. It’s cruel to use The Little Ones as weapons! Not that I mind using them to make other’s lives miserable.

“Alright,” I say a bit worried about what they will come up with. I take a few steps back so I can retreat. “I’ll go meet my mate!”

I run into Gretel and the three boys in the hall on my way out. The boys gape when they see me.

“Hey, I’m an Alpha now!” I tell them clumsily and aim for the door. “Pirates, there are cookies in the kitchen!”

“Aye, aye Captain!” the two smallest ones shout and start running towards the kitchen.

That one game did make an impression on them. Bradley is left dumbfounded without the brothers who usually follow his every move. He looks at me with scared big eyes.

“Freddie, Calvin!” Gretel sounds upset. “Don’t run inside the house!”

I escape through the front door with a smirk on my face. Now let the war begin. I’m glad The Little Ones promised not to break anything; otherwise they would have trashed the whole house. That’s their headache at the moment, since Alpha Denwood said he can handle them. I doubt he’ll be able to handle three wild children and a protective mother from the Ninjan Pack!

Nervous butterflies are flying inside my stomach and it’s creeping under my skin as I walk in a fast pace towards the school. I feel excited by the fact that I will meet my mate. I will never be the clingy type, but I love feeling his arms around me.

It’s in the middle of the school day so I guess I should seek out Carlie first and… I don’t know. Beg on my knees for her to forgive me?

She’s my first female friend and I’m unwilling to let her go, especially since she’s Jason’s mate. I haven’t heard from him since he ran out from the garage yesterday. Was that really last evening? It feels like days ago.