Never give up

Part 33

Never give up

Princess’ POV

“Why won’t you let me join the search party for Kate?”

I feel like smashing Alpha Bears whole office. I’m that angry. Our pack is collecting a bunch of wolves who will be responsible of finding my little sister and this… this Bear is not letting me join it! He has the nerve to be his usual calm self, ignoring my childish outburst.

“Your father and your cousin Gabriel already signed up,” he says with finality. “You choose to accept the Alpha role. An Alpha’s asset is to find who belongs to what job. Finding Kate will be very time consuming. You have a pack to lead, a responsibility above your sister. We will send the best fitted warriors after her and continue our contribution in the search by giving them what they need. You are very upset, but you also have a mother, sister and brother here. You will look after them while your father is gone.”

I look at him with wide angry eyes. I know he’s right. I hate that he is right.

My wolf returned to me this morning and sadly keeps sobbing because Vincent isn’t here. I hate being so bonded to him. Why can’t I be given a few days rest at least from this mate need?

“I don’t fit for the search,” I whisper defeated.

“You never were,” he pities me. “You are a teacher like your mother, that’s what the Wolf Spirits decided.”

I sigh and ignore the aching pain in my chest. Nothing will be the same as long as Kate is missing. I think looking for her will ease the pain, but I’m needed somewhere else. I have a whole pack to sort out and I don’t even know where to begin.

“I will go to the Northwall Pack,” I declare unwillingly.

Alpha Bear nods approvingly. He hands me a picture and I grab it quickly. It consists of a smiling family, a woman with her husband and daughter. The six year old daughter has black hair like her mother, but what steals my attention is the man. Where have I seen him before?

I fly back in my memory, to the night of the war between Northwall and Sunshiny. The same man from the picture lost his mate during that night.

“He’s the one who took our Kate and injured Mary. He and his wife lost their daughter in cancer last year and now his wife. Alpha Denwood just faxed these over with information about the case. Going to Northwall is a good idea. Try to uncover as much as possible about this man known as Rupert Glade. This is how you will help Kate. Do you understand?”

I nod at him, with my eyes locked on the family who also suffered. He looks dependable in the picture, but even the brightest man can go insane when he loses his close ones. I can see in his eyes that he has a hidden past. That scares me because it means he’ll be hard to find. I’m starting to doubt if we’ll ever find him at all.

Kate is a bright girl. She will know what to do to keep herself alive.

“I guess I am more stubborn because I’m an Alpha now,” I sigh, shaking my head over my changed behaviour. “I don’t like being told what to do.”

Alpha Bear’s old face wrinkles up as he chuckles at me. “You are growing up Little Princess. Nothing is stopping you from starting a search party of your own. You own a whole pack and there’s no one who can order you around there.”

I smirk at my own stupidity. I just got angry over nothing. It’s weird to belong to two packs.

“You still manipulate me around,” I accuse him friendly. “Stop messing with my head.”