Chapter 10

*** Marie's POV ***

Wednesday, November 16, 1957

Today was like any other day, just a certain day I start to feel wrinkles starting to show around my face. I woke up to Russell climbing on top of my bed early in the morning. Even after I fluttered my eyes open he whispered smiling, "happy birthday, Marie!"

I grin pinching his cheek.

"Thanks silly. Now why'd you wake me up so early?"

He stops to think, and his smile grows.

"Cuz we're gonna have fun today!" He shouted.

My eyes went wide trying to quiet him down.

"Mommy and Daddy are sleeping, honey!"

He shakes his head no and clasps his hands together in joy. Confused I wait for him to explain.

"Mommy is in the kitchen and Daddy had to work already." He said shushing me.

I roll my eyes smirking at him.

"Nice, Russell." I giggle poking his tummy. He lets out muffled laugh as he tried hiding inside my blankets.

He ran out my room calling to his mother. Chuckling at my win, I decide to check out the kitchen. In my pjs I walk out my room, for it being fall, it was hot and I was stuck wearing a lame, girly, short nightgown. From afar, I could see Judy in a skirt already. 5 am and she's ready for the day.

I walk into the kitchen with Judy's ecstatic expression on her face. She extended her arms toward me. I smile small for she knew what today was.

"Happy birthday, sweetheart! Legal to drink sure sounds fun now huh?"

I laugh shrugging.

"It sounded more fun when I was still in Vegas. Now, now it's just an excuse to drink a fancy drink."

Judy let out a laugh shielding me from the view of her pink stove. I pick up Russell hoping he'd let me in on what his mommy was making. But, no luck. He merely smiled and winked at her. For a 3 year old, he learns tricks quick. I kiss his cheek innocently still trying to discover the secret but still, no luck.

"Well I best be getting ready for the day."

I walk back to my room leaving Russell to play with his toys in his room first. Might as well give effort to what I look like today. I shower and brush my teeth and stare at my closet. Thankfully, I bought a lot of clothes for $50. I still had $50 in cash since I was planning to use that for my ticket to Graceland back in my present. Hm, might as well give myself another little shopping spree today. Just for the hell of it. I grab my last new bought item, a swing dress, it was vanilla colored with light yellow sunflowers surrounding most parts of the dress. For the past months of been lazing around with the clothes Judy have me my first day in the 50s. I put on my favorite nude flats to go with the dress. I let my hair go from my bedtime bun and was surprised with all the volume it had. But I wasn't complaining of course. I did my make up as usual and joined Judy back in the kitchen.

Elvis didn't call me after I responded to him coldly that Fourth of July weekend. Judy sensed my blues but knew not to question it since she knew who was the reason for it. She has yet to ask me about it and I'm glad she hasn't. She knows me well fortunately. As I walk in she hands me my breakfast: 2 heart shaped pancakes and hash brown. My heart melted. I lay the plate on the counter and hug Judy as tight as I could.

"Thanks sis." Smirking she laughed.

"Calm down, they're only pancakes."

I glare at her, "it's the fifties, it's amazing you didn't set them on fire."