Chapter 23

*** Marie's POV ***

Sunday noon, March 10, 1960

Elvis insisted I join him for church. For him I'd do anything, so he woke me up bright and early today. I put on a light pink swing dress with a vanilla cream cardigan and vanilla cream T-strap heels to match. After finishing, he nearly yanks me out the door. We cruise around the streets around Memphis until I realize what we were doing. I turn to him lifting a brow.

"Aren't we supposed to go to Church?" I ask confused.

I watch Elvis get nervous, he runs his hand through his hair. He bites his lip, pondering.

"I change my mind..... I wanna go see my momma." He softly says staring at the road.

Quietly, I put my hand on his shoulder. He sighs, stopping for a red light, he puts his head down.

"I-I need to see her." He chokes out shaking his head.

I rub his back consoling him.

"If I could do it when I was 9, you can do it." I softly say.

He looks up at me with pain in his eyes.

"Plus I'm a little scared of cemeteries." I confess shrugging.

Stepping on the gas he makes a sharp turn making me hit the car door.

"What the hell!?" I shout out.

"I ain't takin' you then." He mutters.

I turn to him, "I'm fine if it's not 9 in the night. Come on Elvis. You're just avoiding the main problem, you're apprehensive of seeing her grave." I say letting out the psychologist in me.

He sighs loudly, slowing down the car.

"Why you gotta be a shrink.." He mumbles making me smile.

He makes another sharp turn and surprisingly, follows driving laws. He's reluctant to see her grave, just as I was reassured of my diagnostic, he slowly drives through the gates of the Forest Hill cemetery. I inhale deep, trying to calm my nerves. Cemeteries really did freak me out whether it be day or night. He parks the car, we sit in the car looking down. We're both not ready to get out. I sigh as I get the courage to get out first. He watches me with fascinated eyes as I make my way to Gladys' grave, I try avoiding any headstones and tombstones. In my mind, I'm freaking out, I just want to get to her grave. I hope he has yet to realize I'm nearly running to her grave. For what seemed like forever, I make it to her grave. It's beautiful, it has colorful, bright flowers surrounding her headstone. I breathe easy as Elvis catches up with me. He kneels down beside her and stares at the headstone. He fights a few tears as I respectively hang my head low.

After a half hour of Elvis talking to her, we walk back to his pink caddy, with his arm around my shoulder. He opens the door for me as I get inside. I exhale having my tense body relax. He gets in starting the car, he glances at me and smirks.

"You ain't scared?" He asks in a sarcastic tone.

I glare at him, he chuckles returning to the main streets.

"So what if I was? I did it for you." I quietly mutter looking out the window.

I hear him chuckle, "People do crazy things, when they're in love." he mumbles.

I look back at him and playfully smack his arm.

"Shut up." I say annoyed.

He howls out smiling from ear to ear. I'm glad he's back to normal, he grabs my hand and slips his hand into mine.

"Let's go home." He says with a grin.

I kiss his cheek, he smiles wider. He clears his throat as I get back to my seat.