Chapter 28

••• Marie's POV •••

Wednesday September 16, 1963

As much as I debated against Vernon renting me a home away from Graceland, I give in to his Southern charm. I stay in bed until noon listening to my present day music, trying to forget the past. With the tiny willpower I still have, I make myself get up from my cozy bed. I do my usual morning routine. As I slip on a simple, pastel pink, long sleeve princess dress.

I gaze at myself through the mirror, my hair has surpass the length I've ever had it. I fishtail braid it and continue with my makeup. I put on the same line across my eyelids and swipe a peach lipstick on my lips. I feel better after having my space, I think. I head to the lovely kitchen and decide to make myself pancakes. I make them from scratch and add a few strawberries. Before eating, I play a Paul Anka record. My ears fill with beautiful music while I'm filling my stomach with home made pancakes. After I finish eating, I wash the dishes with a smile. As weird as that sounds, I'm ecstatic to be doing all the little chores myself. Barefoot, I walk out in the back yard, where chairs are laid out in front of a tiny round pool. I slip on my black round hippie sunglasses as I dip my feet in the pool and lie on my back, staring at the clouds.

I finally get a breather away from Graceland and away from depending on people. I inhale slowly when suddenly I hear footsteps coming towards me.

••••••

• Elvis' POV •

I couldn't help myself, I bought everything that reminded me of Marie while I was finishing up Viva Las Vegas. I bought dozens of necklaces , bracelets and earrings for her, I even bought her fur coats, dresses and millions of shoes. I still can't help the heavy burden and guilt on my heart.

My hearts been numb since Marie left that summer day. The next day, the guys and I were forced to ride in another jet. We all rode in the jet in silence. None of the guys dared to ask what happened the day before. They didn't ask why Marie was gone but they knew. After the plane lands in Vegas soil I demand one of the guys to get me some sleeping pills.

Full of regret, I take half the bottle like I used to when I arrive at my suite, it felt right as I wash down an entire glass of water with the pills. Ann was in my room, laying on the bed with practically nothing on. I glare at her with all the burning hatred I had of her. If it wasn't for her maniacal ways, I'd probably have Marie sleeping soundly on the bed instead. I take a few more pills and slump on the bed.

I miss the next day's filming. I had all the guys surrounding me with crazy eyes. They told me I was asleep for a few days. I shrugged it off and went to filming that same day. We finished the movie on September 11 but I couldn't leave, not until this early morning.

I'm tired regardless of all the heavy sleeping I've been doing. I feel my hair falling out, I have bags under my eyes and I've hardly eaten anything in days. All that kept me going these last few weeks was being able to see Marie. Before I left Graceland, Pa promised me he'd rent her the best house he could find, and he did. He sent me the address in a telegram, in case I'd want to head there first after arriving in Memphis. As the jet comes to a halt, I clench the tiny piece of paper in my hand. I memorized the telegram front and back.

I'm not letting her get away. I can't. I fix my low pastel green button up shirt, I slick my hair back and walk out of the jet before the guys. I hand the chauffeur the telegram and order him to take me there first. He obliges and drives on.

"What are ya gonna do E?" Joe asks as the rest of the guys stare at me.

"I need her, Joe."

Everyone shakes their head.