Chapter 14

Christmas Day, Saturday, December 25, 1957

*** Marie's POV ***

I already knew what this month consisted of and yet, I wasn't prepared for it. Elvis received his draft notice five days ago, my heart dropped even though I expected it. But thankfully, he was finishing up Jailhouse Rock and he formally wrote back for a deferment to finish his movie. I know they'll grant him his request up until March; but knowing how much longer I have with him at his home makes me sad inside.

I kept my sorrow and worry of the months to come in my head. I notice Gladys beginning to change. I felt so useless, I couldn't save her even if I tried. But today was a day of celebration. Christmas was a big day in the Presley home. There were Christmas trees everywhere. Lights covered every inch of the outside.The home was so cheerful. Presents covered nearly the entire living room floor.

Christmas morning I woke up to E singing as he opens my curtains. The sun shines through.

"It's Christmas time pretty baby..." He sweetly chimes.

I cover myself under the blankets.

"It's too early for Christmas!" I exclaim reading the clock on the wall, it was 7 am.

He carefully gets on my bed and cradles me. He kisses the top of my head. I glance up at him, his sweet smile brightens my mood.

"Merry Christmas, baby." He says in a soothing tone.

I caress his cheek. "Merry Christmas, Santa."

He chuckles pushing me out of bed.

"You need to get up so's we can open our presents! Everyone's waitin' for ya!" He exclaims as he finally got me out of bed.

I laugh grabbing my robe and walk into my bathroom. I wash my face, brush my teeth and fix my hair as E sat on the bed impatiently.

"Come on, girly!" He yells out. I giggle slowly making my way back to him.

He yanks me by the hand and takes me to the living room. Where, some of the guys, Dodger, his close family members, the Tylersons, Vernon and Gladys sat patiently on the sofa and armchairs. Just like me, Vernon and Gladys were still in their pjs with a robe ontop. I wave to everyone still yawning. I hug and greet each one of the visitors. After, E smiles from ear to ear ready to announce something.

"Before we open anythin' I just want to say I'm thankful for each and every one of y'all." He exclaims putting one arm around me and another on his mother. Gladys and I kiss him on the cheek in unison and Vernon took a photo. Unexpected, we laugh out and E dashes to the tree.

"Alright, find all your guys' presents and if you see someone else's. Give it to them! Once everyone's done here we can get to breakfast!" He cheered.

Everyone searched through the gifts, helping one another. E grabs two and hands them to Vernon and Gladys. He watches them as they open it. Quietly, I run up to my room. I grab my gift to E, since thanksgiving, him and Vernon have been giving me an allowance since neither want me to work. Being as stubborn as I am I fought it, but since they're just as stubborn I gave in. With the money I received, I saved to buy Vernon, Gladys and E beautiful gifts.

I dash back downstairs with E's eyes following me. I smile at him as I show him the little box. His smile fades and sympathy grows. I throw it at him and he lightly catches it. He pulls me in an embrace and kisses me.

"You shouldn't have, baby." He muttered shaking the box.

"Oh, but I wanted to, Pelvis."

He finally unwraps the box and puts my nerves at ease. He opens the box and his face tells it all. His eyes went big as he picked up the gold owl ring. He beamed as he slid the ring on his middle finger. I smile proud as he glances back at me. He hugs me tight lifting me up in the air.