Chapter 20

*** Marie's POV ***

Wednesday morning, November 16, 1959

I wake up to the lovely sound of birds chirping. As always, I run my hand on the empty space beside me; but today, I actually felt something taking up the space. I turn to face it curiously and realize it's an oversized panda bear. Terrified I jump out of bed, making the floor thump. I look up at the panda bear again. So much for Sargent butt to forget my birthday. I get up rubbing my back from the fall and head to the bathroom.

I do the same routine I always do and decide what I'm going to wear.I haven't worn a dress since arriving at Germany so I decide to put on a pastel blue winter dress that kept me warm like a blanket. I curl my hair and put on a pair of vanilla color T - straps heels. I slap on my make up and stare at myself in the mirror. I sigh, another year older.

I make the bed and hold on to the panda bear. Suddenly as I finish making the bed, something falls to the floor, loudly. I glance down and see a Tiffany's box beside my feet. I carefully pick it up and stare at it. Seconds later, I decide to open it. I slowly open the beautiful wrapped box to unveil a stunning gold link chain bracelet. I gasp completely shocked. He definitely shouldn't have. I put on the bracelet within seconds and as I twirl it around my wrist I see something engraved on it.

"To the love of my life, on her birthday. You're love is never ending."

My heart hurts from E's engraved words. I set the Tiffany's box and the panda bear down on the bed. As I made my way down stairs, the guys lazily sat on the sofa. As I step down the last step, the guys look up at me beaming. Dodger was first to give me a kiss on the cheek, then the rest follow shortly handing me bags and boxes of gifts. I hug and peck all of their cheeks thanking them for their kindness.

"You guys shouldn't have, really!"

The guys shake their heads and sit me down in the middle of the couch with all my gifts surrounding me on the floor. Joe begins to take pictures with a Polaroid. Everyone's ecstatic to finally have something to celebrate since it's been a year after Gladys' death. They all demand me to open the gifts before eating breakfast. Defeated, I laugh and start opening the beautifully wrapped gifts.

I'm forever grateful for the gifts I received. There were dozens of perfumes, clothing and jewelry. Meanwhile, Joe took dozens of photos. At the end of opening my gifts I thank each and every person in the room. Of course, Red ruins the loving moment.

"Come on! Let's wrestle up some grub!" he exclaims.

Everyone laughs out as we make our way to the kitchen. Breakfast was already laid out on the table. Joe lightly pushes me ahead of everyone.

"Birthday girl goes first." He says handing me a plate.

"Aw Joe, for once you're being sweet."

He nods proud, "After all, it's age before beauty Marie!" I glare at him and playfully smack his shoulder.

Joe chuckles evilly as he helps serve me. I shouldn't have had him help me make my plate, I have a mountain of ham, bacon, hash browns and scrambled eggs on my plate. Joe howls out as he sees my shocked face. Either way, I make myself eat everything on my plate. As we eat laughing out and reminiscing of Graceland as a family.

As we finish our breakfast, I hear the front door open.

"Honey, I'm home!" Elvis cheerfully exclaims.

I stand up in glee and dash to the living room, everyone in the kitchen watches. I welcome Elvis with open arms. He caresses my cheek and smiles.

"You liked my gift?" He asks lifting my arm to inspect the bracelet.