Chapter 15

*** Marie's Point of View ***

It's been a week since E left, he sent his parents and I letters; I got a separate letter that held his neat handwriting and some pictures of him and some new friends. As always, I was happy he was happy. We wrote each other letters as soon as we received them, it was the weirdest thing not being able to see him or even hear his voice.

~~~~~
Early morning of June 10, 1958

It was finally June and it was time for Vernon and Gladys to join their son in Texas, I was left at Graceland with Joe. He said he made a promise to E to keep me safe and sound. The Presley's left with guilty faces, I smile small reassuring them I'd be fine. Gladys held me close before we said our goodbyes. She kisses both my cheeks and smiles small.

"I'm so sorry honey. I wish I could do somethin' to make this all better."

I hug her tight, "just tell him I miss him dearly please." I whisper in her ear.

With glossy eyes she tightens the hug.

"I can't bear to leave you here, honey. You're my new daughter. I just can't.."
I kiss her cheek as Vernon consoles her and slips his hand into hers. He waves back at me then helps Gladys enter their Cadillac. I gaze at the car until it disappears outside of the gates. It was summer all around but I felt so cold.

The next few days consisted of me driving to Judy's and spending some time with Russell. It felt as if I hadn't seen them in years. Russell was enjoying his time at home since he's in summer vacation. He was getting so big, he'd be enrolling in kindergarten this school year.

~~~~~
August 1, 1958

It's been awhile since Elvis has written me. I don't bear to worry about it anymore. I snap back to reality as Judy and Russell join me in Graceland's pool. Russell splashes around in glee.
Judy and I watch with smiles. She splashes me to get my attention, I glance at her with a wide smile.

"You know, it's already been a year." She exclaimed.

I smile at her, furrowing my eyebrows.

"A year of what?" I scoff diving deeper in the water.

I rise out of the water playfully splashing Judy.

"A year since we've meet and since you took that time warp over here." She dramatically says.

We laugh out as I lift a brow.

"Already? it feels like it's been a few months." I smile small.

She splashes me again, "You're just getting old."

I sneer, "You're older than me!"

She crinkles her nose, "By two years doll. Anyways, I'm more wiser." She proudly smirked.

I roll my eyes smirking at her.

"I haven't noticed." She rolls her eyes laughing.

Suddenly, Joe runs outside to us. Judy plays with Russell as I look up at Joe.

"It's Vernon.." Joe quietly exclaims.

I breathe in deeply and make my way out of the pool as quick as I can. I grab my towel and ran to the telephone in the kitchen.

"Vernon?" I mutter expecting the worst.

"Marie, I just wanted to let you know, Gladys has gotten ill...we're coming home as soon as we can." He quietly says.

"I'll be waiting for you guys right here. Is there anything I can do?"

I hear Vernon sigh, "I'm sorry Marie but no. The doctors suggest she get bed rest."