Chapter 17

*** Marie's POV ***

Saturday August 16, 1958

It's been two days since Gladys' death. I haven't spoke to Elvis since that tragic day. He's called dozens of times everyday, but I can't face him right now. I finish bandaging my stitches, they seem a lot better since Thursday; and my bruise still looks the same, sadly. I make the sacrifice of putting on long sleeves during these hot summer days so Russell won't see it. As I step out of my room, I join Judy, Robert and Russ at the breakfast table. I smile like nothing's wrong and sit at my place at the dinner table beside Russell.

As we finish, Robert heads out to work. Judy and I clean the table like old times when we hear the door bell ring. Judy and I look at each other staying silent. She carefully puts the plates back on the table as she walks to the front door. Confused, Russell runs up behind his mother. Judy opens the door slightly, she sighs, opening the door wider.

"What is it?" She asks the person.

"May I come in?" I realize the person's voice, it was Joe.

Judy moves to the side, Joe walks in hesitantly until he sets eyes on me. He quickly walks toward me. He hugs me tight, I wince in pain as my stitches cry out. He notices my pain and lets go of me. I smile small through the pain and grab my stitches.

"Marie," he says relieved.

"Sorry, the stitches still hurt.." His face turn to hurt.

"What else did he do?" I shrug and slightly pull off my left sleeve to show him. He inhales slowly and deeply. I look up at him with sad eyes.

"He's hurtin' bad, Marie."

I try ignoring that sentence but it stays in my mind, "What do ya need, Joe?"

He shrugs and looks away, " I just wanted to let ya know, the funeral service starts tomorrow."

I sigh, worry comes over me. "But..But he'll be there."

Joe slowly nods, "You didn't deserve what he did to you, not at all. We'd respect ya if ya didn't wanna come..."

I glare up at him, "I'm going, for Gladys. No one else." I reply coldly.

"We all feel terrible about this, Marie."

"Well don't be. I don't know what to do now."

I stare at Joe, he looks uneasy, as if trying to tell me something.

"He really, really, really wants to talk to you." He quietly says scratching his head.

I shake my head, "There's nothing to talk about, I got stitches and some bruising. He'll say sorry and that's it.What do you want me to do? Run to him and tell him I forgive him?"

Joe nervously shakes his head. Realizing what I said I stare at the floor.

"I'm sorry, Joe. I'm just, still a little traumatized.."

Joe nods and pulls me closer to him for a light hug.

"I don't blame ya, girly."

"Can you get me some more clothes from Graceland? Please?" I look up at him with puppy dog eyes.

He smirks, chuckling.

"Alright, alright. More clothes for the princess, got it."

I laugh walking with him to the front door, Judy and Russell disappeared. Joe turns back at me and smiles small.

"I'll go get your stuff, but Elvis-"

"Make him feel like shit." I mutter evilly.

"But that's the thing, he already does. And he's takin' abunch of stuff."