Chapter 27

3 bumpy years later.

• Marie's POV •

August 20, 1963

I feel dull, lifeless more like it. I'm in the tub lying with the water up to my chin. I stare blankly at the faucet. I decide to get out and get dressed.

I feel so alone. Elvis was out making Viva Las Vegas with the pompous, red headed tramp. And ever since that confrontation with the Colonel he informed Elvis he couldn't do anything with changing any movies from the contract. Elvis gave in and made it his goal to astound his fans in the rest of his movies. After shooting Flaming Star, Elvis and I weren't the same.

He stayed in his Bel Air home for months at a time, calling me every now and then. There's been countless of times where I wanted to leave Graceland, I have the money saved up anyway, but Dodger and Vernon always seem to talk me out of it. Then they phone Elvis about my dismay and he sends me to Vegas with him and the guys.

Now to make matters worse, gossip finally spreads about Elvis and Ann having an affair. Plus the fact she proudly states they're engaged. I'm not having fun with this life anymore, I can't take it.

After years and years of staying by his side, he has yet to propose. Which sadly hasn't surprised me. It goes to show I'm just a flame. And to top everything off, I'm an old hag. I'm 26 and clinging to my twenties. I glare at my closet, I feel my young spirit completely gone.

Out of the tub and into a robe, I force myself to change into a blue circle skirt and a black halter top. I brush my long black hair, dreadfully. I sigh as I slip on my black flats. I look in the mirror and do my make up, like always disregarding the time.

The phone unexpectedly rings, I glance at it for a moment before lifting it to my ear. Without a word I wait for the person on the other end to say something.

"Hello? Marie?" I hear Elvis' voice ring in my ear.

I shake my head silently and hang up. I walk downstairs with Vernon and Dodger eating breakfast. They call to me and I fake a small smile.

"Sweetheart, Mary kept your breakfast in the oven. Come on and eat. You look like skin and bones." Vernon exclaims concerned.

"Thanks Vern but I think I'm going to do some errands first. Is that all right?" I ask sweetly.

His eyebrows furrow. He wipes his mouth with his napkin and comes closer to me. He stares at me right in the eye for a few moments. Helplessly, I look down at the floor.

"Honey, I haven't seen you eat in days." Vernon whispers making me feel ashamed.

I shake my head, stubbornly.

"I'm fine Vernon." I reassure him glancing up at his worried eyes.

"I told Elvis." Vernon whispers.

I lift my head up, I look at him desperately.

"He doesn't care. I don't even know why I'm still here." I snap with hurtful eyes.

Vernon grabs a firm hold on my arms. I look away from his face.

"Sweet pea. Please baby, you can't leave. We love you. Elvis loves you." he exclaims in a serious tone.

My heart starts racing. I can't believe him anymore.

"I- I can't believe you Vern. Even if I wanted to. It's been seven years since I've been with him. I'm losing my mind Vernon! What am I doing with my life? Am I just a doormat that waits hand and foot for him when he comes home?! He doesn't want me by his side anymore. He doesn't want me anywhere but here, so when he's ready to come home he sees me and he'll want me to be the same old happy go lucky Marie like nothing's wrong! But dammit it I can't wait for him forever! I don't know what I'm doing!" I cry out with tears forming.