Chapter 6

Emilie POV
"Come on love time to wake up"
"Hmmm 5 more minutes" I was asleep and Newt was gently trying to wake me up though it isn't really doing anything.
"You already asked for 5 minutes and I gave them to you so now come on it's time to wake up"
"Fine" I yawn and stretch trying my best to wake up.
"There you happy?" Newt just smiles at me.
"Yes very. Now come on it's your first day of trying out jobs and your first one is being a slicer"
I still can't believe he's making me try out the Slicer job first I honestly thought he was kidding about that. Me and Newt walk out of the Homestead and quickly go eat breakfast with Chuck. As soon as we're done Newt tells me to go look for Winston the keeper of the Slicers he told me that he should already be at the Blood house. After that, he and Chuck go to their own jobs. Luckily I was able to find Winston with no problem at all.
"Hey I'm Winston Keeper of the Slicers nice to meet you"
"Hi I'm Emilie nice to meet you too," He told me to go feed the animals first and then to meet him in the barn to help him with something later.
"Alright, Winston I'm done."
"Great come over here."
I follow the sound of his voice and as soon as I find him. The first thing I see is a dead pig hanging on the ceiling. But strangely enough, it doesn't really bother me.
"Come on Greenie I have to see how good you are at butchering animals. If you have any questions or need any kind of help I'll be right here"
"Alright"
I was a bit hesitant at first but it turns out that it was actually really easy for me I mean I somehow knew what to do. I also thought I did a pretty good job and from the look on Winston's face, I wasn't the only one thinking that.
"Wow not bad Greenie to be honest I didn't think you would be good at this job"
"Same here"
"Your almost as good as me and that says something"
"Thanks I guess" I ended up helping him skin a few other animals until someone called for him.
"Alright Greenie can I trust you to finish the rest?"
"Sure no problem" I say with full confidence.
After he left I went straight back to finishing the sheep that I was skinning. I stabbed its chest but instead of seeing wool I see a shirt I look up and see a guy who looks to be the same age as me.I see his pail face his scratched up arms and legs and the worst part the knife I stabbed him with. I killed him. I look at him terrified I try to walk back but I just trip and fall on my back. I start having trouble breathing and I can feel the hot tears sliding down my face and finally scream.
"NOOO!!!!!" Winston and Zart came running in finding me crying and shaking. They quickly come over to me and try to calm me down.
"It's okay we're here now"
"Yeah calm down there's nothing to be afraid of" I shake my head and look back up to where the guy was but he wasn't there it was just the sheep. Winston and Zart look up to where I'm looking at.
"It's just a dead sheep Emilie"
They both look back at me with a concerned look. After a calmed down Zart left and Winston told me if I wanted to I could take the rest of the day off. But I turned it down I wanted to finish my job here and Winston just smiled and nodded greatful since there was still a lot of work left to do.
The day went on without any further incidents and Winston looked very pleased by all the work I did as was I was proud of all the work I did. I was still a bit shaken up by what happened but I was more confused. Why did I see something like that?
The week went by fast with me taking a new job every day. Chuck was right I should stay away from Gally the whole entire time while I was a builder he kept on yelling at me and told me how I was doing everything wrong. I was okay with all the other jobs nothing special though I still didn't do as well as I did when I was a slicer. But I do admit that I was really good at being a track-hoe probably as good when I was a slicer plus it was really fun hanging out with Newt we talked and joked around all day. I never told him about what I saw that day when I was working with the slicers. I don't want him to worry about me I think he has enough things to worry about. Anyways I just hope I either end up being a slicer or track-hoe.

Newt POV
Me, Alby, and the other keepers were in a gathering deciding what will be Emilie's job. Zart and Winston well those two bloody shanks are actually really stubborn those two are literally fighting over Emilie's job . I was really surprised when I found out that she was great at being a slicer I was proud of her but I personally want her to be a track-hoe with me. I mean she's amazing and I want to spend more time with her and I had a really great time when she was a track-hoe with me. Me, Alby, and everyone else just stood there watching those two shanks have at it.
"Come on Zart just let her work with me!"
"After what happened!?! No way you slinthead"
"Hold on what happened?" Alby cut into the argument and Winston and Zart look at each other. I was also interested as well since it concerns Emilie.
"Well to be honest we don't really know what happened" Zart began
"I left her alone for a few minutes and then we suddenly heard her screaming" Winston said.
"We found her crying and shaking uncontrollably. We asked her what happened but she wouldn't say anything"
Now I most definitely didn't want her to be a slicer. I don't know what happened but what I do know is that I want to take care of her more than ever now. I looked over at Alby and saw him deep in thought after a few minutes of silence he finally spoke.
"I honestly don't know what to think. What about you Newt?" I stood up straight and spoke loud and clear.
"I think she should be a track-hoe" I looked over at Zart he looked rather pleased but Winston looked like he wasn't going to give up.
"What? No!!!" He then looked towards Alby.
"Come on Alby every month there is a new track-hoe, builder, or whatever but not for me. I have to take a lot of important time to teach the shanks on how to do the job properly. And with Emilie she already knows what to do she didn't even ask any questions. Alby she will be a great slicer she could even be my successor if something were to happen to me"
"What a load of klunk!!! Are you even considering how she feels?!? Did you even let her at least calm down when you found her in that state!?!"
I don't know what came over me I'm usually calm at the gatherings but when it came to Emilie I just lost it. Winston looked at me with a serious look.
"Yes I did. I even told her that if she wanted to she could take the rest of the day off, but she turned down my offer"
I didn't know what to think much less say anything. I looked over at Alby and I saw that he made his decision and I have a pretty good idea on what it is and I sure as shuck I'm not gonna like it.
"Alright I made up my mind. She will be a slicer but if there are any more further incidents then she will be immediately moved to a track-hoe understood"
Zart looked disappointed while Winston looked rather pleased with himself. I was disappointed to but I was more worried now. I have to go find her and get her to tell me what scared her so much. I then remembered her first day here and how she was screaming and crying in her sleep. I wonder if it's somehow related to that dream she had.
By the time the gathering was over it was already dark I decided to go check in our room to go tell her that she is a slicer and to ask her what happened that day. When I reached our room I was about to open the door but I heard faint singing coming from the other side of the door.
Deep in the meadow, under the willow
A bed of grass, a soft green pillow
Lay down your head, and close your sleepy eyes
And when again they open, the sun will rise.

Here it's safe, here it's warm
Here the daisies guard you from every harm
Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true
Here is the place where I love you.

Deep in the meadow, hidden far away
A cloak of leaves, a moonbeam ray
Forget your woes and let your troubles lay
And when again it's morning, they'll wash away.

Here it's safe, here it's warm
Here the daisies guard you from every harm
Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true
Here is the place where I love you.

Badadadada...

Here is the place where I love you.

Deep in the meadow, hidden far away
A cloak of leaves, a moonbeam ray
Forget your woes and let your troubles lay
And when again it's morning, they'll wash away.

Here it's safe, here it's warm
Here the daisies guard you from every harm
Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true
Here is the place where I love you.

It was beautiful. Her voice the song and most of all her everything was just beautiful.

Emilie POV
I was singing a very beautiful song. I honestly don't know how I know the words to it I just do. By the time I finished singing Newt walked in and he was smiling. I instantly started blushing because of his smile and because he most likely heard me sing. He sat next to me on the bed and just looked at me with his loving eyes and kind smile.
"Hey love"
"Hey Newt"
We just stayed there gazing at each other it wasn't weird or awkward it was very comfortable. Finally Newt sighed and spoke.
"So we made a decision on what your job will be"
"And what is it?"
"Your officially a slicer. I was actually quite surprised to find out that your good at being a slicer" I giggle at this.
"Yeah same here"
"You should have seen it. Zart and Winston were going crazy over what your job should be"
"Really? I would have loved to see that" I giggle again.
Newts POV
I look down to the floor I want to ask her what happened that day but I also don't want to ruin this moment. It feels so calm and peaceful and that's very rare in the Glade but I have to if I don't do it now then I'll never be able to ask her. Finally I spoke up.
"You know love... Zart and Winston told me what happened on your first day of work"
It's now her turn to look down and debate whether or not to tell me. After a long silence she took a deep breath and told me what happened and not only that she also told me she was somehow able to remember something on her first night here. The whole entire time she looked like she was about to cry.
"I'm sorry I didn't tell you Newt. I'm really really sorry."
I didn't say anything I just grabbed her and hugged her. I held her as if trying to make her forget all of those horrible things. She doesn't deserve it that nightmare, that horrible memory, what happened in the blood house, and especially being here in the maze she doesn't deserve any of it. When I pulled away Our faces were dangerously close and before I knew it I kissed her. It was small and gentle at first but they grew longer and more passionate. That's when I finally knew how much I love her I always suspected my feelings for her but I was never sure until now at least. I gently pushed her down with me on top still kissing her. After a while we finally we stopped. We were taking deep breaths as I laid my forehead on top of hers and gently spoke.
"I don't know what happened to you in your past. But I made a promise to you and there is no way I'm going to break it" I softly whisper to her.
"Alright Newt I trust you." I laid right next to her. The both of us held each other close, scared that we will disappear from each other's grasp. We laid like that for a while not saying anything.
"Emilie"
"Hmm?"
"I love you"
I could feel her smiling in my chest.
"I love you to Newt"
With that sleep overcame the both of us.