35- In Heat

Author's Note

I know it's been a month since the last chapter... sorry for the late update! But school's over, so I will finally be updating more. :)

I also start summer camp on the fifth, and I'm the only girl camp counselor, which is greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. What are your summer plans?

******

Recap-

"Whoa!" I tightly hooked my arms around his neck when he stood up on his legs. "Wait I have a question."

"Ask away."

"Do you have four legs or two legs and two arms?"

"Four legs."

"Oh okay." I paused. "What do I do next?"

"Hold on tight."

"Okay now what do I-"

Before I could finish my question, Cain started running into the forest.

******

I felt like I was flying through the forest; I could only see the blurry trees and the green grass. 

"This is so fun!" I yelled happily as he jumped over fallen trunks and dodged branches. The wind was whizzing by me and I was in the middle of throwing my head back to scream something when Cain stopped abruptly. "Woah, what was that for?" I grabbed onto his fur tightly so I wouldn't fall.

Cain's teeth were bared, and he was growling at something. I heard howls in the distance.

"What's going on?" I looked around. "Cain?" He growled again. "Cain?" He was breathing heavily and looked like he was ready to kill something. I heard footsteps behind me and whipped my head back. "Cain, you got to move!" 

"Emma!" someone yelled. I couldn't make out who was there.

"Cain, do you know who that is?" 

"Emma!" Axel and Blake popped into view. "Get off him."

"Why?" Cain started to shake more frantically now. I could barely hold on.

"Just get off," he started. "Please."

"Okay..." I carefully got off Cain, and right when I did, he shot back into the forest. "Woah."

"Go home Emma," Blake gestured to an opening in the trees. "There's a path you can follow to go back home."

"Why?" I wrinkled my eyebrows. "You're not taking me back?"

"Go Emma, you'll be safe, I promise," Axel pointed to the opening. "Hurry."

"Why?"

"Just go."

"Fine." I stomped towards the opening, trying to show them how angry I was without yelling at them.

True to their word, the path was easy to follow, and I was home in no time. I had no idea why they had told me to leave, but I definitely felt like something weird was going on. 

"Whatever," I murmured as I opened my door and walked in. My parents weren't home as usual. They took a lot of business trips and vacations, so I was home alone a lot. It wasn't a big deal. I knew how to take care of myself, and I've had enough "family" nights to last a lifetime. Besides, I liked being at home alone. I could sing as loud as I want to.

I grabbed some cucumbers and decided to have a spa night. I'd put on a clay mask, pop some cucumber slices on my eyes, and paint my nails and toenails. It's not like I was expecting anyone over.