Home [1]

I Met Him On Tumblr  

✥ Chapter 1: Home ✥

>> "Laugh until we think we'll die, barefoot on a summer night. Never could be sweeter than with you and in the streets you run afree, like it's only you and me, geez, you're something to see. Home, let me come home. Home is wherever I'm with you." - Home by Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros

 ◂◂◂

“I won’t be back until late. There’s some money for you to buy something for you and Matthew on the counter. Don’t wait up,” My Mum said as she grabbed her purse in her tight black dress and walked out of the house, swiftly. I didn’t know where she was going, probably some charity dinner to make her feel like a better person. Not that I minded, better for me to have a free house.

            “Do you want Pizza or Chinese?” I asked, walking into my brother’s room. He was sitting on the floor with a PlayStation remote in his hand.

            “Pizza,” he answered absent-mindedly too focused on the game.

            After I ordered Pizza, I walked into my room and logged onto my laptop and I didn’t need to think before typing Tumblr into the search bar. I guess I wasn’t so unique or special. I was just a 16-year-old girl who enjoyed scrolling through endless amounts of posts.

            I had organised with my friend, Hope, who I had never met and only knew over the Internet to Skype that night so I was excited. I always looked forward to Skyping with Hope; I had never spoken to anybody like her. She was one of a kind - I was for sure.

            When I logged onto my Tumblr I was overjoyed to see that I had gotten a new message. I immediately clicked onto it and saw that it was from a user called thatguyjason. His message read, ‘Hey, Kik me sometime? @jasongray8’. I clicked onto his account, not thinking much of it. I first looked at his picture, which was of him and two other girls by side. One blonde, one brunette, the blonde had her tongue sticking out and the brunette was smiling innocently. His blog was filled with photos of beaches, girls and sport.

            I looked down at my face and it didn’t take me long to decide to message. I had nothing to lose and if he turned out to be a creep, I could easily just block him or ignore him. I then found his Kik account, his picture was one of him, and he wasn’t smiling or anything, just staring blankly at the camera but then again, not many guys smiled in pictures.

            I stared at the empty screen not sure what to type, in the end I just settled for Hey :) and waited for a reply.  After I sent that message, I went back onto my laptop and started scrolling through the pictures on my dashboard. I didn’t pay much attention to that simple text I had sent the unknown guy, I spoke to people I had never met on a regular basis.

            The doorbell rang and I abandoned my phone and laptop in my room, running downstairs and answering the door. The deliveryman was standing there with the box of pizza and I paid him before shutting the door and calling my brother down.

            “Matt! Food’s here!” Matthew quickly came down, chucking a couple of pieces on his plate and walking back up to my room. I rolled my eyes. I sat in front of the TV, eating Pizza and watching reruns of Pretty Little Liars. After I ate and cleaned up, I walked back up to my room.

            I unlocked my phone noticing I had gotten a new message on Kik from the guy, Jason. It read, ‘Hey :)’ and then he had quickly typed again, ‘are you from tumblr??’ I could only imagine the amount of girls he just randomly spoke to. He was attractive; I’d give him that.