Chapter 1- Giana Russo

I stare back at the girl standing directly across from me, leaning over the desk that's pushed against the corner of her room, just to simply get a better look

I stare back at the girl standing directly across from me, leaning over the desk that's pushed against the corner of her room, just to simply get a better look. Her brunette hair in slight waves as her sparkling brown eyes twinkle back and daunt me.

Her eighteen-year-old self only wanted to strive for the idealism of 'perfection.' High school can be a cruel world, and the only thing she wanted to attain from there along with her diploma was memories that can last a lifetime.

Memories, that one word, it all consists of those wild recollections from our lives that our minds just can't help but store deep into our brains. We unintentionally start engraving a face, a voice, an action all in one single thought alone without even noticing.

However, unlike all the past years before, the ones that she spent restless nights engraving memories that were indelible to a young girls fragile mind from classmates who pegged her as the girl that nobody was fond of. 

Who knew being quiet in a classroom full of chaos was something to be ashamed of.

To everyone else around— clearly, it was. 

She pushes the tiny strands of stray hair that's falling into frame of her face away with the palm of her hand in one swift motion, and with the other she runs her hands across the material of her silk top.

That girl was me.

Giana Russo.

I'm a simple girl, but I've learned over the course of the years what I believe I want in life, and everyday I push myself, striving to get to the places I want to be— proving to the ones who burnt me— proving to myself that I am more than what everyone constantly labels me as. 

Tonight is the first night of my senior year— the first party to kick off the start of the new year. Something I normally wouldn't attend, because things like parties and boys have never been an interest in my life. . . Mostly, because I've never been invited to a party or on a date so it's not like I've had much of a choice to partake on the 'fun.'

For many years I believe that life was a constant bore— my life specifically, almost as if there wasn't anything interesting going on in the world.

But I am almost now certain that I'm hundred percent wrong and because of that I am determined to make this year, unforgettable.

"Are you almost done?" Emma whines, snapping me out of my dazed thoughts making me turn my head to meet her gaze.

That right there is my best friend in the whole entire universe, Emma Smith, we've actually only known each other since freshman year but when we met it wasn't instant friendship.